Prev: Re: Severed Dreams Redux Next: Re: Jerks in Full Thrust

Re: FW: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

From: Chad Taylor <ct454792@o...>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:53:49 -0500
Subject: Re: FW: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:

>   We have certainly experienced this and we have tried various methods
> for avoiding it.  It is probably worth noting that this kind of
> campaign is an accurate simulation of most wars, especially naval
> wars, throughout most of history.  What it doesn't simulate is the
> "good wars" like WWII where the opponents pounded on each other for
> years and no one would ever give up.	But I think your typical smaller
> scale war usually ends when one side's capitol or major industrial
> center is taken, more along the lines of France and Poland in WWII
> than the Eastern front.

One thing I am working on now is a campaign that would try to duplicate
the "island hopping" of WWII.  The idea is to stop players from massing
one large fleet and then going for the kill on the enemy homeworld on
turn
one.  Instead we wanted this to be about destroying (and building)
colonies and other support networks in order to advance your war effort.
We are using a system in which each colony can support the maintenance
needs of a fleet out to a certain distance.  To move beyond that
distance
costs a high amount of maintenance points and the freighters needed to
transport it (possible, but expensive).  This system allows for deep
strikes into enemy territory to hit key targets, but makes it very hard
launch a full scale invasion without doing the ground work.  Seems to be
working out.

Chad