Prev: Re: Capital Ships in Campeign Games Next: Re: FW: campaigns

Re: FW: campaigns

From: ngilsena@i...
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 13:34:47 -0500
Subject: Re: FW: campaigns

> Date: 	 Fri, 28 Mar 1997 22:38:38 +0000
> To:		 FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> From: 	 jon@gzero.dungeon.com (Ground Zero Games)
> Reply-to:	 FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Subject:	 Re: FW: campaigns

> Paul wrote:
>
> >How about "FT Front" where the player is commander of "Alpha Fleet"
stationed
> >on the rim of "Omega
> > Sector." He/she has a set fleet and a set level of repair/resupply
points.
> >Replacements come in on a
> > schedule. Wins/losses and a few die roles determine whether the
> >repair/resupply/replacement pool
> > goes up/down and/or comes sooner/later. There would be no
"exploration" only
> >scouting. Auxiliary ships would be like "terrain" and have to be
defended as
> >would starbases/repair depots.
> >

> This fits much more with my own thinking about FT campaigns than the
"grand
> imperial strategic" type does; it also gives possibilities for all
sorts of
> fun with random events and interference from higher command levels -
you
> might get some replacements coming in, but equally NavFltCom might
suddenly
> decide that they need to steal one of YOUR cruiser squadrons to
reinforce
> someone else's sector...
> This sort of setup will, I think, give a lot of fun without some of
the
> more complex bits often discussed for campaign games; how about
everyone
> else?
>
> Jon (GZG)

I had an idea for a campaign game that worked along these lines.  You
were in charge of a sector with various systems which were assigned a
reinforcement point value.  Each system you held entitled you to roll
on a reinforcement table.  The table had 10 reinforcement squadrons
available.  The catch was that you could only roll a D6.  The larger
Superdreadnought squadrons were at the high end of the table.
Picket squadrons were at the bottom.  If you
wanted to get the larger squadrons you had to sacrifice reinforcement
rolls.

For example you hold 3 systems whose total reinforcement point value
is 4.  You can roll on the table 5 times (getting anything from
picket squadrons to cruiser squadrons, if you're lucky).  Or you
could sacrifice 2 rolls to get a +2 roll on the table potentially
giving you a chance for one of the larger squadrons.  Yet you are
still guaranteed better than a picket squadron even if you roll
badly.

While I didn't get to test this idea in play I beleive it would
create an interesting campaign game, particularly if you had some
political elements thrown in. Politics in wargaming is always a huge
spanner waiting to be thrown in the works.

Prev: Re: Capital Ships in Campeign Games Next: Re: FW: campaigns