Prev: Re: FW: campaigns Next: Re: Damn the torpedoes and others (long)

Re: Maximizing ship designs

From: Slaan@a...
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 21:33:52 -0500
Subject: Re: Maximizing ship designs

It is interesting to me that ship optimization vice specific designs is
an
issue.	My first step in analyzing FT was to determine what "missions"
were
required, and then design ships to fulfill that mission role.  For
example, I
visualized a need to torpedo boats to zip in an hit capital ships, so I
designed a light but very fast torpedo carrier.  Other designs included
the
long-range bombardment function (BBs with lots of A batteries), snipers
for
slowing or stopping enemy ships (equipped with needle beams), medium
vessels
that could break up enemy formations (screened cruisers with lots of
missiles), etc.  No single design can function without the others
(except for
the patrol cruiser that has a bit of everything, and is designed for
independent patrol).  So the fleet automatically assumes a balance; I've
had
very good luck using screening ships to protect my core force while my
snipers and torpedo boats slow and attrit enemy units, and eventually my
core
force closes in for the kill or capture.  And by using specialized
ships, I
have managed a number of captures.

-- John I.

Prev: Re: FW: campaigns Next: Re: Damn the torpedoes and others (long)