Prev: Re: FW: Capital Ships in Campeign Games Next: FW: GZG questions

FW: campaigns

From: Paul Calvi <tanker@r...>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:27:53 -0500
Subject: FW: campaigns

This brings up a good point. Any campaign system would have to either be
what I call "operational
level", like Rick's example below, or "strategic level", like Star Wars
or Master of Orion. The
operational level campaign is easier I think because there is no
construction, only repair/replacement.
 The strategic campaign gets into the whole economics of empires which
is hard to do well and even
harder to do simply.

How about "FT Front" where the player is commander of "Alpha Fleet"
stationed on the rim of "Omega
 Sector." He/she has a set fleet and a set level of repair/resupply
points. Replacements come in on a
 schedule. Wins/losses and a few die roles determine whether the
repair/resupply/replacement pool
 goes up/down and/or comes sooner/later. There would be no "exploration"
only scouting. Auxiliary ships would be like "terrain" and have to be
defended as would starbases/repair depots.

Paul