Prev: Re: campaigns Next: RE: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

Re: campaigns

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 07:01:07 -0500
Subject: Re: campaigns

>On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Rick Rutherford wrote:
>
>> Also, the supership powergamer will have to go back to the dockyard
after
>> a few battles, and that will keep them from taking & holding anything
>> until their force is back up to strength, especially if the time
needed to
>> repair their ships keeps them out of the campaign for too long.
>
>Ahem. Meanwhile, his lesser opponents are DEAD, so much space dust.
Let's
>not forget that. If you don't have the time to repair an existing ship,
>you certainly don't have the time to build ships from scratch.
>
>--
>maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio)

I think the implication of Rick's point is that yes, SOME of the
opposition
are dead, but they've got a lot more ships (smaller ones, admittedly)
and
probably haven't even committed some to battle yet; if the powergamer's
big
ships are in the repair yard, the opponent can send a couple of
(relatively) puny frigates to calmly take the star system that is now
defended only by a customs cutter.... :)

It reminds me of one of Jim Webster's articles in one of the wargames
mags,
in which he introduced the MGIAT, standing for "My God, It's A Tank" ...
this being the militia or irregular infantryman's reaction to ANY
vehicle
bigger than a Toyota pickup with a .50 cal MG on the back! The point is
that force is relative, and what you really need is to ensure that for
the
second battle you have more operational strength left than the
enemy.....

Jon (GZG).

Prev: Re: campaigns Next: RE: Capital Ships in Campeign Games