Prev: RE: Star Blazers FT Next: RE: DS II models from Geo-Hex

Re: Vector movement

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 15:42:52 -0500
Subject: Re: Vector movement

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> > On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
> >
> > > It is far more difficult to figure out where you're going to end
up with
> > > the "old" FT rules,

> > Not really. Your turning radius is roughly r = 2v/p, where v is your

> > velocity and p is the points you put into turning.
>
> Which still means that you have a fairly limited set of points to go
to,
> and going at higher speeds those points will be pretty far apart.

Care to check what I was replying to?

> Sure. You never fly your thrust 2 SDs at speeds over 4, I can tell...

Ahem. "Brakes & turn" is feasible under FT since you can take a maximum
turn and still decelerate at half thrust. It's also a simpler solution
--
you start turning in the desired direction immediately. Whereas with a
slow turning ship under newtonian, you'd have to calculate a few turns

> Using the normal movement system, I usually fly my ships at speeds of
5-8
> times their thrust rating.
[Chop]
> Using vector movement, I rarely fly faster than 4 times the main
thrust
> rating;

So, you *do* agree the regular FT system is easier to control?

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: RE: Star Blazers FT Next: RE: DS II models from Geo-Hex