Prev: Re[2]: Dirtside II Damage Chits Next: Re: Vector movement

Re: Turrent Mounted GMS systems.

From: M.J.Elliott@u...
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 07:08:42 -0500
Subject: Re: Turrent Mounted GMS systems.

>Mr. Elliot,

 Hi, I'm Mike

 >I was wondering if you could answer a quick question for me and my
>Dirtside group. We have had some probles with how to deal with GMS
>ATGMs. We have three questions:
 >*Can they be turret mounted?

 No, not necessary, GMS systems are assumed to have 360 degree arc of
fire
 anyway (think of a TOW system on top of an M113, a bit like that, but
smaller
 and more efficient of course).
 >*If so, do they get all of the advantages
  >of a turret mounted system (ie 360 arc
  >and being able to fire after a move)?

  Not applicable, see above.
 >*Can an AFV fire both its main weapon
  >(like say a MDC or HKP) plus a GMS
  >during the same activation?

  No, the rules state (can't remember the page off-hand) that only ONE
weapon
  system may fire per activation. Hmmm, problem is you have to _choose_
which
  one...
 >I know, its silly that grown adults can argue over such things, but an
>answer from a fellow like you would end it once and for all. Right now
>we allow GMS weapons have only "fixed" mounts and can be fired
>together with a main weapon- like the U.S. Army Bradley IFV.

Yeah, you could say that, but we made a conscious decision in the gane
design to _not_ allow more than one weapon system to fire to force the
players to think and choose the most appropriate weapon system for the
target. To take things to their ridiculous extreme its a bit like
saying "well I'll fire my main tank gun and that enemy tank, but I'll
fire my machine gun as well just in case..."

Some players have got round this inability by allowing bigger vehicles
to have more than one fire control system. You can fire one wepon
system for each fire control system, but you have to pay extra and it
takes up space...
 >Also, Dirtside is really popular around here with gamers: its the
best!
>You and Mr. Tuffley did an excellent job (that is coming from an old
>gamer and ex-Abrams crewman). Hooah and keep up the good work, and
>thanks for you time.

>Sincerely,

>Scott Case (scase@sprynet.com)

Thanks for your kind thoughts

Mike Elliott, GZG
copied to list for info only

Prev: Re[2]: Dirtside II Damage Chits Next: Re: Vector movement