Prev: Real Thrust Discussion Next: Re: Dirtside II Damage Chits

Re: Descriptive design system idea

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 11:54:44 -0500
Subject: Re: Descriptive design system idea

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>Yes and no. A laser warhead could (perhaps; I'm not entirely sure)
>generate more than one beam, in which case the D6 roll for damage would

>represent how many of these beams that can hit.
>
>Read the Honor Harrington novels for descriptions of SF laser warheads!

A typical detonation laser device, as decribed by specs produced by the
U.S.
military for SDI, uses several lazing rods to focus the X-ray emissions
from
the detontation of a nuclear device.  This produces one concentrated
beam
from the lazing rods that would would be much more powerful than any
produced by a conventional power supply.

I highly recommend you check out declassified articles on the subject
for
specifics.  I researched heavily into SDI systems years ago for
information
related to my engineering projects and found a wealth of data that was
equally helpful in wargaming.  Sci-fi novels are helpful as you
suggested,
but a lot of their interesting ideas have been fueled by real science.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Real Thrust Discussion Next: Re: Dirtside II Damage Chits