Prev: B5 and Sir Isaac - Reply Next: Re: Vectored Movement template..

Re: B5 and Sir Isaac

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 11:34:03 -0500
Subject: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac

At 03:15 AM 3/19/97 GMT, David Brewer  wrote:

>The assertion is that a B5 game needs some sort of Newtonian
>mechanics because this is a major part of the show's appeal.

   Actually there are many cases where Newtonian Mechanics are followed
in
B5, particularly in fighter to fighter engagements...  Watching a Star
Furie
in action against raiders, capital ships and B5 itself showed the use of
netwonian mechanics and many slide by firings.
  When the Star Furies engaged the Centari Cruiser, they set their
momentum,
fired as they aproached and turned to face the enemy and racked her
sides as
their momentum carried them across and then followed up by firing in the
opposite direction of travel...  This is but one scene where this
occured.
  Mojo was quite embarassed when I pointed out to him that the opening
sequence for one season where two Star Furies are fighting each other
violated the momentum rules.  He obviously wanted the show to followed
Newtonian mechanics as did JMS.  However, when it helps the story along
(I.E. Shadows) they use dramatic license to make a point of how
telepaths
affect shadows.  It would be very difficult to make this point if the
Shadows simply drifted...  Cost time and CGI work...
  Phil P.

Prev: B5 and Sir Isaac - Reply Next: Re: Vectored Movement template..