Prev: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG) Next: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

Re: Stamp Out Ignorance

From: "Edmund Hon" <edmundh@i...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 00:31:21 -0500
Subject: Re: Stamp Out Ignorance

Thus spake Scott Nolan:

> AD -	   Destroyer Tender
APD (or AVP) - Destroyer Transport. Most commonly found
in the Pacific War during WW2, although most navies used destroyers
as troop transport at one time or another. Basically an older
destroyer converted to a troop carrier. The Japanese used a lot of
these in the Soloman campaign (the Tokyo Express).

> BB -	   Battleship
BC - Battlecruiser. I don't think any are left now.

> CL -	   Light Cruiser
CLAA - Anti-aircraft Cruiser. Another WW2 invention, a light cruiser
hull armed with multitude of AAA and dual purpose guns. A good
example is the Atlanta class, with 12 dual 5"/38 turrets. The FT
equivalent would be a ship armed with lots of ADAF and C turrets.

> CVL -    Light Aircraft Carrier
CVE - Escort Carrier. In WW2 this usually a converted merchant hull
carrying upto 30 aircrafts. With a top speed of (at most) 20 knots
they are too slow for fleet duty like CVLs yet good enough for convoy
escort.

> DD -	  Destroyer
DE - Destroyer Escort. The destroyer's little brother.

How about some Russian warship type names for your ESU ships?

Atomny Raketny Kreyser - Nuclear powered missile cruiser (e.g. the
Kirovs)
Eskadrenny Minonosets - Destroyer
Bolshoy Raketny Korabl - Large missile ship
Storozhevoy Korabl - Escort ship (That's what they called the Krivak
FF)
Pogranichny Storozhevoy Korabl - Border patrol ship
Maly Raketny Korabl - Small missile ship
Raketny Kater - Missile cutter (the Osa class missile boats)
Torpedny Kater - Torpedo cutter
Bolshoy Desantny Korabl - Large landing ship

---
   /// __	/ edmundh@ipoline.com	 http://www.ipoline.com/~edmundh
  /// /_ dmund /
 /// /_/_/    / "He is a genius. I had goosebumps just watching him
think."
///   / /on  /			      - Danielle Chase, _My So-Called
Life_

Prev: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG) Next: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)