Prev: Re: Space Marines? Next: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 09:07:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

On Fri, Mar 14, 1997 at 11:58:49 AM, "Phillip E. Pournelle" wrote:

> Has anyone played the new Babylon 5 Wars game?  I'd like to hear how
> well its written.  Hopefully I'll be able to find some folks to play
> it with.

I was one of the playtesters for the game.  My game group played it
about ten
times total, and filed a 20-page playtest report for each of the two
rounds of
playtesting.  The consensus of opinion was that there were some serious
problems with it (detailed below), and that the more we played it, the
less we
liked it.  Unfortunately, preliminary indications are that AoG doesn't
think
these problems are issues, so they probably won't get fixed.  CAVEAT: I
haven't seen the final rules yet, so I can't comment authoritatively on
them.

There were three main problems that we identified:
1) The movement system is seriously broken, in two ways:

First, the movement system they use is inappropriate for a hex-based
game.
The system is somewhat simliar to (but more complicated than) _Full
Thrust_,
i.e., "move forward X number of hexes and then turn X degrees". ("X" in
this
case is 60, because a hex has six sides and 360/6=60.) Each ship is
given two
stats which affect course changes: a "turn rating", usually expressed in
the
number of "thrust points" that a ship must expend in relation to its
current
speed (e.g., "1/2 times current speed") before it may turn 60 degrees,
and a
"turn delay", usually expressed in the number of hexes that a ship must
travel
forward in relation to its current speed before it may turn (e.g., "1/3
times
current speed").  Ships may only coast along hex rows.

Okay, so what's wrong with this?  Nothing -- in a miniatures game.  B5W
isn't
a miniatures game, though, it is intended for play on a hex map, and the
hex
map distorts the movement.  For example, ships may "slide" into hexes
not
along the same hex row, but sliding costs thrust points equal to 20% of
the
ship's current speed every other hex. This leads to an extremely odd
phenomenon: A player who wants to conduct a 60-degree course change
(from a
hex row to a hex row) can do so by paying the turn cost and then
coasting. A
player who wants to conduct a 30-degree course change (from a hex row to
a hex
spine), however, must expend thrust points equal to 20% of the ship's
current
coasting speed every other hex for the duration of this course,
potentially
forever. If the player is unable or unwilling to continue paying this
expenditure (e.g., the ship is damaged by enemy fire), the ship then
spontaneously returns to it's original course, without expending any
thrust.
A system like this works well in _Full Thrust_, when the map doesn't
force you
along particular paths, but not very well in a hex-based system.

As a result of this distortion, every different maneuver requires its
own
procedure, make the game much more complicated than it should be.  For
example, pivoting (i.e., rotating the ship) while coasting at speed zero

(i.e., dead stop) uses a different procedure than pivoting at speeds
greater
than zero, although from a physics standpoint the two maneuvers are
identical.
The speed zero procedure allows you to change your facing to point in
any
direction; the other procedure limits you to a pivot of exactly 180
degrees
(which takes exactly three turns). Why? Because if a moving ship changed

facing other than 180 degrees, the movement system couldn't handle it;
you
literally could not move using the current system. Patching the current
system
would involve adding yet more special-case rules to the system.

The second problem with the movement system is that it is non-Newtonian,
and
doesn't even fake it well.  _Full Thrust_ isn't either, but it fakes it
well,
because it doesn't have the hex distortion effect.  While this type of
movement system may be proper for a WW2 naval miniatures game or even
acceptable in the context of, say, BattleTech, its gross violations of
simple
physics make it inappropriate for a space combat game based on a series
whose
creator prides himself on scientific accuracy. Although TV imposes
certain
restrictions, I very strongly believe that any Babylon 5 game should be
as
scientifically accurate as possible while maintaining the spirit of the
television show. And that, of course, means a vector movement system.

We felt so strongly about this, that after AoG told us that they had
rejected
vector movement before they started drafting the rules ("because it
would be
too difficult"), that fellow playtester Arius Kaufmann and I took a
draft
system that we had proposed to AoG and developed it further.  It is
available
at http://www.wizard.net/~caw/vms.htm, and will be updated when the B5W
game
is released.

2) One energy point produces one thrust point regardless of ship type.

Why is this a problem? It implies that all the ships are the same mass.
This
is because, in all the various types of ships, an undamaged thruster
produces
one thrust point for each energy point run through it, and each thrust
point
can produce an acceleration of one.

Since the amount of acceleration any one thrust point can produce is
dependent
not only on the thrust of the thruster it is run through but also the
mass of
the ship the thruster is attempting to move, the fact that one energy
point
has the same effect whether it is spent by one ship or another implies
either
that all ships mass exactly the same amount (obviously false), or energy

points are relative, valid only within the context of a single ship
class,
e.g., an energy point in a Centauri heavy war cruiser is different
(represents
more or less energy) than an energy point in an Omega class destroyer.

This has profound effects on the rest of the game -- especially ship
design.
It means that at some point energy points would have to be converted
between
the "relative" energy points valid only for a particular ship-class, and
some
"absolute" energy unit which would be used when picking weapons systems,

thrusters, etc. for a ship.

They may be planning on fixing this in the final rules, by creating some
sort
of energy-point transaction system to convert between the different
ships.
They indicated that they were going to make some changes after the first

playtest round, but as of the second round we didn't see any.

3) The combat system is really vague.

The more we played the game, the more uneasy we felt about the combat
system.
We made certain assumptions about what the various values (defensive
ratings,
damage ratings, fire control, etc.) are intended to represent.	The more
we
played, however, the more we ran into specific instances that seemed to
not
fit in with the implicit model we had constructed.  Therefore,	either
our
understanding of what the values represent was wrong, or the value
itself was
wrong, or both.  Next, we realized that not only had we not determined
if the
system and/or values made sense, but that we _could not_ do so without
more
information.  At best, we would have only a vague feeling that this or
that
value is wrong -- oftentimes it seems that different ships are different

solely for the sake of being different, or that the values were assigned
in a
totally arbitrary manner.

Now, this being science fiction, these values are fictional, but that
doesn't
mean they have to be arbitrary.  If the defensive rating, for example,
is a
rough idea of how hard the ship is to hit based on the size of its
profile (a
la GDW's _Star Cruiser_), then small ships should be harder to hit than
large
ships.	This wasn't always the case, which led us to wonder what factors
_are_
included.  On several occasions it seemed like someone had decided to
change
values without thinking through exactly what the values represent.

While bad enough in itself, this will potentially become intolerable
when the
ship design system is introduced, for two reasons.  First, if there is
no
method by which a ship's ratings are determined, it will be difficult if
not
impossible to devise a system which will allow you to design the ship's
included in the game.  Second, even if the original ships do not become
illegal, it promises to make them suboptimal designs.  There should
always be
room for players to improve on the efforts of the naval architects of
the
fictional setting, but care needs to be taken not to invalidate all the
designs which came before.

Mark Seifert's web page has a proposed d20 damage system which
potentially
could streamline the combat procedure considerably.  While the combat
system
was a little complicated at times, we didn't think that complication was
the
real issue.  I don't know what they will do.

There is also a more minor nit:  The Omega-class destroyers don't have a

rotating section.  We thought this was important, because this is an
extra
mechanism which can be damaged, and the commanders of these ships (in
'Severed
Dreams', for example) certainly seemed to think that damage to these
components would be bad, and because it is one of the things which
illustrates
the general inferiority of Earth Alliance technology versus some of the
other
major races.

All-in-all, it was about what I expected when I discovered that the
designer
had been Stephen Cole's hand-picked successor to take over the
stewardship of
the Star Fleet Battles universe.  [This isn't intended as a jab at SFB,
just a
note that SFB suffers from most, if not all, of the same problems --
except,
of course, that vector movement is not an integral part of the
background on
which the game is based.]  I don't really expect any of the above
problems to
have been fixed (although the movement system is the only one that AoG
has
flatly declared was not going to change).

That having been said, I have already reserved a copy from my local game

store, and I'll be the first one in line to buy it.  It's Babylon 5, and
even
if it's unlikelty that I'll play it as-is (unless there have been some
major
changes), it will still be a valuable reference and a good basis for
modification.  Aside from the movement system, there is a lot of good
stuff in
there which can be salvaged.

-- Chris Weuve	 [My opinions, not my employer's.]
------
mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)		http://www.wizard.net/~caw
mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)		Fixes for AoG's B5 game, books,
mailto:chrisweuve@usa.net (perm)	stuff for sale and more

Prev: Re: Space Marines? Next: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)