Prev: Re: Fleet Initiative Next: Re: Points values, uses thereof.

Re: Fleet Initiative

From: Daryl Poe <poe@h...>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:40:19 -0500
Subject: Re: Fleet Initiative

Sprayform wrote:

> I like the ideas Daryl posted ,taking on board the O.K. gunfight
results
> with the drawing fire ideas wraps up the following (in my opinion)
>    2. Any ship damaged by incoming fire (not
missile/fighters/mine/nova cannon)
>	must return fire (if in range?)if it has not yet fired.
>	This ties up one fire control . Targeting a battle-ship with 3
> destroyers	   gives your other ships a turn to do the more
important
> things (ie senario)	    Small ships will die but all
literature/films etc
> are full of this type of	 action (Massive ships tied down by the
> suicidal/heroic freedom fighters	 small ships; small ships having
> fire at well shielded big ships just	     because they are hot on
their tails.)
>	     ----Simple rule works for the senario I envisioned last
night

My tendency is to make players do certain things because it's
tactically sound rather than because the rules are trying to enforce
a certain type of behavior.  In a recent game I ran, many of the small
ships were equipped with submunitions packs, and believe me, the
saavy players picked up on the fact that they better direct the fire
of their massive ships at the heroic small ships, or they were going
to eat a lot of damage.

Now if you wanted to give the battleship pilots a trade-off to make
like "if you don't return fire then such-and-such a bad thing will
happen", that'd again put the control back in the players hands.

Daryl

Prev: Re: Fleet Initiative Next: Re: Points values, uses thereof.