Prev: Fighter beys &c. Next: Re: SPOILER ALERT/PARASITE FIGHTER RACKS

Re: Drawing Fire/Screening/Initiative

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:02:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Drawing Fire/Screening/Initiative

In message <199703091244_MC2-1253-E85@compuserve.com> Brian Bell writes:
> As has been mentioned before, a problem creeps up in FT when the
scenario
> calls for protecting a convoy or screening a battle-group. The problem
is
> that the attackers can ignore the ships firing on them and go for
higher
> victory points by attacking convoy.

As I understand wet naval tactics of the day, ships are paired
escort/escortee against missile attacks so the escort physically
interposes itself (and it's point defence) against an attacking
enemy missile raid.

I suppose that in FT you could reasonably allow a ship to pair
off with one nearby ship "behind" it to deny one attacking ship
the ability to target it. That would make many small ships (like,
err... escorts) better escorts than one big ship.

--
David Brewer

Prev: Fighter beys &c. Next: Re: SPOILER ALERT/PARASITE FIGHTER RACKS