Prev: Re: Fighter speeds - launch direction Next: Late Night Interceptor idea.

Re: Threshold Damage Cards

From: rpruden@a... (Rob Pruden)
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 21:02:57 -0500
Subject: Re: Threshold Damage Cards

Rob and Brian on threshold cards:

>>Deck size:  50-100 cards?  I guess it depends on how often you
reshuffle
>>them and the number of different results included.
>>
>>Results:  Certainly a bunch of "no effect" cards...  I like the idea
of some
>>cascading effect cards such as "internal explosions, draw two more
cards" or
>>"catastrophic reactor containment failure - ship explodes!"  This adds
more
>>uncertainty and drama to the card draw.
>>
>>Procedure:  One card draw at first threshold check, two at second,
etc.

>The main problem with threshold cards is that all ships do not have the

>same system.
>"You loose the Wave Gun."-card reads
>"All Right! I don't have a Wave Gun! No damage!"-player response.
>Either obscure weapons will be less effected by threshold cards (more
>cards mention "A" bats than Nova Cannons, so Nova Cannons are lost less

>often) or "no effect" is the result (as above). If the if/then/else
>option is on the cards ("Loose screen. If no screen then loose 1 PDAF")

>some systems will still be more likely to be damaged.	<SNIP>

Actually, what I had in mind was something like this:

Card examples:

	No effect (lots of these)
	Lose one weapon, your choice.
	Lose one weapon, opponent's choice.
	Lose two weapons, etc.	(less of these, of course)
	Drives damaged, 1/2 thrust
	FTL destroyed
	Lose one fire control
	Lose one screen generator
	etc., etc. (including the BOOM! and "internal explosion cards
mentioned above)

These results could be mixed up and combined if desired or required to
get
the probablities right.

Any other suggestions?

Rob

Prev: Re: Fighter speeds - launch direction Next: Late Night Interceptor idea.