Prev: Tactical FTL Next: Re: B5/FT: Combining Armor and Interceptors?

Re: Threshold Damage Cards

From: rpruden@a... (Rob Pruden)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 09:51:25 -0500
Subject: Re: Threshold Damage Cards

Tim proposed the following capital idea:

>It might be interesting to devise a set of core FT public domain
threshold
cards
>(the intent is to *not* purloin the James Clay card content just the
general
>concept :-) as an optional damage allocation system. I'd be interested
in the
>content of a deck to get the right statistical spread in relation to
dice
>rolling alternative (probability isn't my thing) and any ideas about
what
people
>would put on such cards. Once the content is sorted out they could be
easily run
>off in a DTP or word processor.
>
>The cards could then apply to any damage track allocation system ;-/

Outstanding idea!   I would be interested as well in seeing ideas on how
replace the die rolls while maintaining the correct statistical curve
for
damage.  As I recall, James' cards were described as being more specific
a certain TV-inspired genre, so a more generic set shouldn't conflict
with
his work.

Deck size:  50-100 cards?  I guess it depends on how often you reshuffle
them and the number of different results included.

Results:  Certainly a bunch of "no effect" cards...  I like the idea of
some
cascading effect cards such as "internal explosions, draw two more
cards" or
"catastrophic reactor containment failure - ship explodes!"  This adds
more
uncertainty and drama to the card draw.

Procedure:  One card draw at first threshold check, two at second, etc.

These are some initial ideas.  Any others?

Rob

Prev: Tactical FTL Next: Re: B5/FT: Combining Armor and Interceptors?