Prev: Re: Hypothetical Liberator Stats Next: Re: B5/FT: Combining Armor and Interceptors?

Re: B5/FT: Combining Armor and Interceptors?

From: M Hodgson <mkh100@y...>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:39:30 -0500
Subject: Re: B5/FT: Combining Armor and Interceptors?

>	This sounds like a good idea.  Here are a couple of others.
>	How about using the armor rating an overall damage reducer?  If
> ship with armor 2 is hit with 4 points of damage, the damage is
reduced
> to just two.

I think that you will find armoured ships just a little bit to long
lived
if you go for a system like this - especially if they are large.  This
BTW
is a fault with many armour systems - large ships benefit far more than
small ships from them.	That's why I go for a % increase as thanks to
rounding small ships can be remarkable value - as are key masses of
larger
ships (At the point when 35 or 40 gets you another hull box thanks to
rounding).  I find this makes people unsure as to what is the best value
of ship which I like.  No doubt with a bit more playtesting it will
become
apparent - but for now it works good.

>	Another idea is changing my interception rules.  Instead of my
> orginal idea, how about using each p cannon as a single screen
> (regardless of the A, B, or C rating) that will protect from incoming
> p-cannon attacks?

Again I think your ships will be a little hard to damage - though of
course it does face the players with the dilema of whether to fire or
defend.  I would ask for a firecon each for defensive firing p cannon -
which will encourage players to not over do the defence, or if they do
they sacrifice firepower to do so.

Another idea I had but didn't follow up - largely do to the popularity
of
the screens idea on this list was to allow C-batts/interceptors to fire
individually at each hitting shot.  So if you are hit with 3 dice
(5,5,6)
You could fire interceptors at those shots and if you too rolled > 4
damage then you take no damage.  Shots are allocated to intercept a shot
before roling.	One disadvantage is that it does involve a lot more dice
rolling and slows the game down (hense the reason I ditched the idea).

-Michael

Prev: Re: Hypothetical Liberator Stats Next: Re: B5/FT: Combining Armor and Interceptors?