Prev: Re: FULL THRUST font Next: Re: The Babylon Project

Re: Building Babylon 5.

From: Never moon a werewolf <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 19:48:57 -0500
Subject: Re: Building Babylon 5.

>> >I'd look at something like 10 PDAF/interceptors, 4 B Batts, 10 C
Batts.
>> >Depends on how much hull you give the other ships really ? as it's
all a
>> >matter of scale really.  I think 2 turns of fire from the station at
<12"
>> >should comfortably shread anything up to heavy BC, so scale based on
that.
>> >Anyone who doesn't agree should watch the end of s2 again....
>>
>> Be careful how much firepower you attribute to B5. She's only
supposed to
>> have enough to 'take on a war cruiser'. And no more (this does not
count
>> fighters). Watch 'GROPOS' again. They give a rough listing of what
all new
>> weapons systems B5 was being out-fitted with. Along this line I'd
only arm
>> her up to a battlecruiser for weapons (offensive, anyhow).
>>
>> Her one fighter wing assisted a great deal in the shredding of the
>> Centauri cruiser in the ep you cite.
>
>	I beg to differ - I think the damage inflicted by the fighters
was
>fairly minor. It was never the intent to destroy the Centauri vessel,
and

No, it wasn't. I take my info on this conflict from online conversations
with jms. He indicated to us that the fighters were used to 'strip the
weapons from the cruiser, and did significant damage so the B5 weapons
could take it out'. This is paraphrased from memory, mind you.	:-) I
didn't save the actual postings. JMS is notorious for not giving us good
numbers to work with sometimes, so we poor viewing gamers have to
interpolate
(or extrapolate, whichever way you're going).

>had the fighters been succesfull in inflicting much damage the order to
>"launch everything we've got" would not have been needed.  However
>following B5 opening up in 10secs or so we have a massivly damaged
>Centauri BB.  Agreed this may well have happened if it had been a Omega
or
>the like doing the firing aswell.  The weapons given above are largely
>short range and/or anti fighter and so with a bit of care should not
come
>into general play.  If you are a raider however you are in a bit of
>trouble...

Also, one thing not being addressed here is the Centauri cruiser's not
openning up with everything *it* has. If it had, either B5 or the Narn
cruiser would have been severely damaged. Again, jms was asked about
this,
and his response was the cruiser captain didn't believe that B5 would
cut
loose with as much as it did, and wasn't expecting that much of a fight.
Note: the cruiser never launched or had fighters of its own out. Joe
said
the captain didn't think he'd need them (or something to along that
vein).

A number of us online folk (some from the FT list, others not from here)
have engaged jms in a number of discussions regarding tactics,
especially
in regards to 'The Long Twilight Struggle', 'The Fall of Night', and our
favorite, 'Severed Dreams'. The man is _not_ a tactician; sorry. He _is_
a story teller. Several people have offered to give him tactics advice,
to flesh out the combat scenes better, but he has refused. So we just
hafta
sit here and bite our lips whenever we see something that would be
painfully
obvious us that the 'seasoned military personnel' on B5 aren't doing.

>	I feel I should point out that my war cruisers are aslo armed to
>the teeth and would shread a ship in much the same lenght of time.
Ships
>in B5 are FRAGILE and boast massive offensive weaponary.  Hence my
comment
>origionally that it depends on your other ships as to how hard you make
>the station.

Right. Wasn't disputing your comments, just pointing out that she (B5)
is
only supposed to be a match for a war cruiser, is all. You got war
cruisers
armed to the teeth, then B5 should match. If not, scale it down.

Which is what I think you're saying.

Mk
-
"Ya know...this was supposed to be my weekend off. But nooo-o-o-ooo. You
got me draggin' yo' heavy ass...through the burnin' desert, wich yer
dreadlocks stickin' out the back of my parachute. You gotta come down
here with an attitude, actin' all big and bad...AND WHAT THE HELL IS
THAT
SMELL?!? RAAAR!!! I coulda been in a barbecue!! But I ain't mad...is
alright.
It's alllright..."

Prev: Re: FULL THRUST font Next: Re: The Babylon Project