Prev: Re: Hypothetical Liberator Stats Next: Re: FT PBeM: The Deneb Clash

Hypothetical Liberator Stats

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:34:54 -0500
Subject: Hypothetical Liberator Stats

Kevin Mc writes:

@:) At a guess it is probably about TOS Enterprise sized, but only
@:) required a crew of seven to operate.

  I don't know what would have given you this idea.  I would have
assumed that it was significantly smaller than the Enterprise,
whatever the crew size.  In fact, I think the center hull part was
probably significantly smaller than the enterprise hull (the stick
part, not the round part).

@:) Oh, it was also very fast and maneuverable.

  I've been waiting for someone to remember exactly how fast it was -
it could do something like "mark past twelve" or "twelve past factor
seven" or soemthing like that.	There was a twelve in it, and the
measurement was otherwise obviously meaningless, that's all I recall.
Surely there's a B7 fan out there somewhere who can enlighten us.

@:) Argument could also be made for giving it armour 3 instead of
@:) shields, Kra'vak movement and rationalising railguns as its beam
@:) weapons.

  Well, it was built by aliens - so the Kra'Vak thing would make
sense.

@:) All this leads me to suggest that 'roughly' the Liberator would be
@:) a capital class ship of:
@:)
@:) Mass 60
@:) 2 AA Batteries F
@:) Level 3 Screens
@:) 2 A Batteries PFS
@:) 2 PDAF
@:) 1 ADAF
@:) 3 Extra DCPs
@:) Thrust 6.

  I can't believe I'm going to nit pick someone's guess about a ship
that I haven't seen in ten years but here I go (sigh):	I already
suggested that it should probably be smaller.  There's no evidence
that I recall of it's being able to fire in any direction except F.
It had three nacelles, each of which contained an engine - and I think
a weapon as well, right?  If so that would be a good argument for
giving it 3 AAs instead of the AAs and the As.	PDAF?  ADAF?
Fighters?  What are those?  Thust 8, definitely, if not thrust 9 - the
Liberator was, hands down, the fastest ship in the galaxy and was in
fact faster than anything human engineers could ever hope to build.  I
think the screens are a bit high because while it was pretty tough, it
was far from invulnerable (which is what level 3 screened ships tend
to be).  Well, that's my $.029

@:) In any event it's horrifying in points terms, but would probably
@:) make a good ship to put in a demo game where five or more smaller
@:) ships try to tear it to pieces...

  717 points sez the ol' spacedock applet.  A little high, but that's
because of the 3 screens and high thrust for a capital ship.  For 587
points, you can purchase the following:

  Liberator:

Military (FTL)
Class: Capital
Mass: 42
Thrust: 8
Cost: 587
FTL: Normal
3xAA Megabattery
2xScreen Generator
3xDamage Control Party

  which gets you a ship that (to my mind) fits the show better AND
it's cheaper, too.  What a bargain!

-joachim

Prev: Re: Hypothetical Liberator Stats Next: Re: FT PBeM: The Deneb Clash