Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas! Next: The Liberator and fighter speed.

Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

From: Marshall Grover <mgrover@m...>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 15:18:44 -0500
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

>No offence, Donald, but I really couldn't disagree more. I have no
>desire to put players in the position of "designers" (this being my
>idea discussed above). I would rather put them in the position of
>"commanders", but I digress.
>
>Let us consider your idea (and this all, I think, holds true for
>JMT's ideas... just to bring the content in line with it's subject).
>Take eight escorts. Clag them all together to get a capital ship
>with the same thrust rating, and maybe cash in a few weapons for
>shields (but that probably isn't necessary).
>
>What odds do you give the escorts in a fight to the finish with the
>sum of their own parts? Anybody like to quote me some prices? I'll
>bet on the monster ship, thank you.
>
>It seems overwhelmingly obvious that the whole is greater than the
>sum of it's parts. It must therefore cost more points or the game
>is broken.
>
>--
>David Brewer

The easiest way to do it is base engine and hull costs on the square of
the
hull size
hull cost for a size 20 escort = 20*20 or 400
hull cost fot a size 100 BB = 100*100 or 10000

Engine cost for the speed 5 size 20 escort = 20*20*5 or 2000
engine cost for the speed 5 size 100 BB = 100*100*5 or 50000

based on this scale you can by 25 size 20 ships for the cost of 1 size
100
ship. I would say that the odds are more even here.

The costs here are way out of whack but you get the general idea, you
might
want to square the speed too , to discourage high speed ships except for
very few courier class ships.

 Marshall Grover

"A Jedi's greatest enemy is himself." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas! Next: The Liberator and fighter speed.