Prev: Near Future Rules Draft is up! Next: Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up!

B5 Interceptor Info...(Spoilers for B5)

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:38:21 -0500
Subject: B5 Interceptor Info...(Spoilers for B5)

Spoiler space for those who didn't see "Severed Dreams"

Not that most of us haven't....

...I just want to be on the safe side.

	OK, that's enough.

	It would seem that the enternal question has been answered:  "Do
B5
interceptors stop beam weapons?"  The answer is YES!  The question has
been bothering me ever since the prolouge of "Severed Dreams" where it
was mentioned that the Alexander could punch through the Clarkstown's
hull with her aft lasers because the C-town's interceptors were down.
How could such a system stop an energy beam.  For the answer I tried to
get JMS's attention on the r.a.s.t.b5.mod newsgroup.  That didn't work.
Then it was mentioned that B5's CoProducer was a lurker to group and was
accepting techie questions.  I raised the question with him and here's
his repsone:

George Johnsen wrote:

> Mark-
>
> The interceptors have two components, one that throws a ball of energy
> at an incoming weapons charge (physical or energy) and causes
> dissipation, and the other is a net-like energy web that reduces the
> severity, but does not deflect or absorb, beam type energy.  This
allows
> some time for maneuvers after beam contact.
>
> Note that Major Ryan (He'll always be D-Day to my brother!) was very
> reticent to fire on the Clarkstown at all.  Knowing that the
> Interceptors were down made his job all the more difficult.  The rear
> facing beamn on the Alexander is similar in design to the front facers
> on the Clarkstown.  When the C-town fired on the rotating section
ofthe
> Alexander, it did not explode, as the interceptors were still active.
>
> George Johnsen
> CoProducer, B5

	By now everyone is runing out to change their B5 to FT rules.
Later,
Mark S.