Prev: Ship styles (was Galoob SD....) Next: NO SUBJECT

Re: No Subject

From: BJCantwell@a...
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 00:51:06 -0500
Subject: Re: No Subject

> >Wild Weasels:
>  >  A wild weasel is a fighter which has had its weaponry replaced
with a
> suite
>  >of jammers and defensive electronics.  Any squadron may replace one
of
its
>  >standard fighters with a wild weasel.  The squadron then has one
less
> fighter
>  >available for attacks (but is considered full strength for morale
checks).
>  > When fired upon, the wild weasel gives all fighters of the squadron
the
>  >equivalent of level one screens (-1 damage from scatterpacks).
Heavy
>  >fighters with a wild weasel have the benefit of level two screens.

>  >When the
>  >squadron takes damage roll to see if the wild weasel is destroyed.
>
>  How will you determine if weasel gets it?

Just random chance.  If six fighters take one hit, the weasel will be
the
deceased on a 1 in 6.  If six fighters take four hits, the weasel will
be
debris on a 1-4 on d6. etc.

>  An easier method might be to use fighter groups composed entirely of
>  electronic warfare craft.  Any friendly ship or fighter group within
a six
>  inch radius gets the benefits as you described above (-1 to hit).
This
way
>  it would be easier to determine damage and somewhat resembles a
modern
>  carrier strike group, where a flight of EW aircraft are used to
provide
>  cover for several wings of attack aircraft and escorts.  The EW group
>  provides the same level of protection for friendly craft within their
6"
>  radius unless the entire group is destroyed.  This works as a
redundant
>  system of ECM to counter the effect of having no offensive
capability.

Could work as well.  FOr my tastes, though, I don't see the little
fighter
being able to put out sufficient noise to effectively impair targeting
over
such a huge area (I tend to be in the 1" = 1000km crowd).  I like having
the
weasel only affect the associated squadron.  Even ship based Area ECM in
standard FT is not able to affect targeting...

>  *Electronic Warfare group option
>  -Mass: N/A - No additional mass is required as offensive systems are
>  replaced by ECM equipment.  Cannot attack or dogfight.
>  -Cost: 10 additional points per EW craft in group.
>  -Endurance:	Unlimited.  If your trying to simulate fuel consumption,
etc.
>  try using 10 turns of endurance.  I give them a higher endurance over
other
>  fighters since they do not require the same exhaustive combat
maneuvers or
>  carry limited weaponry resources.
>
>  >Long Range Missiles:
>  >Long Range Missiles are in every way identical to standard missiles
except
>  >that they have 6 turns of endurance and do d6 damage.
>
>  Reminds me of my HE missiles mentioned a while back, only with
greater
>  range.  Would the missiles cost the same, and how would this affect
EMP
and
>  needle missiles if their effectiveness is reduced?  How about needle
>  missiles hitting a specifc system, but only does normal damages to
it, not
>  destroying it?  Also, how about EMP missiles only generating a max of
one
>  threshold roll if hit?

I intended the LR missile to be a separate missile type... Say the
increased
fuel load prohibits loading any of the bulkier special warheads (or a
full
size standard warhead for that matter).

>  Mike Miserendino

Later

Brian

Prev: Ship styles (was Galoob SD....) Next: NO SUBJECT