Prev: Starguard/ Stargrunt Redux. Next: Re: More FT Ideas.....

Re: FTIII/classes redefined

From: Brian Bell <PDGA6560@c...>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:49:06 -0500
Subject: Re: FTIII/classes redefined

>The break points between hull classes is somewhat different. Adam
>Delafield and Brian Bell came up with a new system to allocate damage
>boxes to rows. I don't know if you saw it, so here it is again.
>
>Unfortunately I don't remember what Adam called the new ship classes,
so I
>replace his names with my designations:
>
>Class name:  Mass range: #rows of boxes: Max #boxes/row:
>Scout		1 -  8		 1		 4
>Escort 	9 - 20		 2		 5
>Cruiser       22 - 36		 3		 6
>Battlecruiser 37 - 56		 4		 7
>Battleship    57 - 80		 5		 8
>Dreadnought   81 -108		 6		 9
>
>... etc. For each new class, the number of rows of damage boxes is
>increased by 1, and the maximum number of boxes per row also goes up.
>
>The damage boxes are placed as follows:
>
>First, you fill up all boxes as per the next LOWER ship class. Then you
>start filling out the last row with boxes, 'til it is as long as the
upper
>boxes. If you still have boxes left, you fill in the final box in each
>row, starting from the top.
>
>Brian drew a diagram of it:
>
> 1  2	3  4  9 16 25
> 5  6	7  8 10 17 26
>11 12 13 14 15 18 27
>19 20 21 22 23 24 28
>
>...etc. As per MT's Superships, all treshold checks after the third are

>made at 4+.
>
>While this system is more complicated than the FTII one, it avoids the
>'CL is more brittle than DD" problem, as well as the "large capitals
are
>invulnerable" one. Each ship in a class is about as brittle as every
>other ship in that class.
Actually, I have to give all the credit to Adam. :-)

My idea was to have a set length that would be filled before the next
row
was started. Adam improved the idea as presented above.

I still would like to see the ship classes redefined more evenly. Such
as:
02-10  Corvette 	    Escort
11-20  Frigate		    Escort
21-30  Destroyer	    Escort
31-40  Lt Cruiser	    Cruiser
41-50  Med/Escort Cruiser   Cruiser
51-60  Hvy Cruiser	    Cruiser
61-70  Battlecruiser	    Capital
71-80  Battleship	    Capital
81-90  Dreadnought	    Capital
91-100 Superdreadnought     Capital
100+   Superships	    Supership
Even using the existing method of allocating ship diagrams, this would
allow more light, fast ships to be a factor in the game. I feel that
giving escorts an 18 mass range, cruisers an 18 mass range, but capitals

a 64 mass range (as it is currently) a little lopsided. This would
distribute it to 30, 30, & 40.

Brian Bell
pdga6560@compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pdga6560/fthome.html
Includes the Full Thrust Ship Registry! Is your ship design here?

Prev: Starguard/ Stargrunt Redux. Next: Re: More FT Ideas.....