Prev: A long, rambling farewell Next: Re: The Curmudgeon Rants Again

Re: full throttle

From: KROY <kroy@c...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:22:29 -0500
Subject: Re: full throttle

Rick,
	Here are to different sets that recently appeared on the FT
mailing
list:

			      Full Throttle

 Here are the rules conversions for Full Thrust into a mech based game
that
 we're calling Full Throttle.  Sorry it's taken so long since the
original
 post to get them on.  These rules are primarily the work of Ron
 Kehir and besides the Full Thrust rules there have been rules
adaptations
 and variations taken from numerous sources.  These people and Jon
Tuffley
 all have our thanks.

 These rules are meant to be just a quick and simple beer & pretzles
mech
 game and to be used with Full Thrust for a combined land-space
campaign.
 If you use these rules and have any comments or suggestions let us know
 at tihald@ix.netcom.com

 CONSTRUCTION RULES:

 The construction rules are fairly simple.  We take a look at the
 miniature and just start adding components and weapons untill we feel
 that the mech has been justly described.  All of these systems (weapons
 and components) are labeled in terms of their tonnage and cost.  After
 outfitting the mech we add up all of the tonnage and this is the
Structural
 Mass of the mech.  The Total Mass of the mech is determined by this
 formula:
		Non-jump military mech		SM x 1.25
		Jump military mech		SM x 2
		Civilian mech			SM x 10
Note that this is the minimum that the Total Mass must be.  It can be
higher in order to have more Damage Points.  Speaking of Damage Points
this is how they are calculated:
		Military Mechs			Total Mass x .5
		Civilian Mechs			TM x .25
The next step is to determine how the mech moves (hull type) and how
fast
it can go:
	Hull Type			Max Speed		Hull
Cost
	low mobility wheeled		  10			TM x
.25
	high mobility wheeled		  10			TM x .5
	slow tacked			  8			TM x .75
	fast tracked			  12			TM x 1
	slow gev			  12			TM x
1.25
	fast gev			  15			TM x 1.5
	grav				  15			TM x
1.75
	VTOL/copter			  24			TM x 2
	walker				  12			TM x 1
Note that the Hull Cost is in addition to the cost of the other
systems.
The actual drive itself costs (Damage Points x Speed).

SYSTEMS:

Now for a look at the actual component and weapon systems.

	Component			Spaces		Cost	Weap
Abrev.

	Pilot/Gunner/Crewman		1		--
	Fire Control (first free)	3		10
	Armor				3		30
	Reactive Armor (-1 v missile)	4		40
	Ablative Armor (-1 v beams)	4		40
	Enhanced Sensors		1		15
	Superior Sensors		2		30
	ECM				2		20
	Area ECM  (3 hex rng)		4		40
	Mine Sweeper			5		20
	Mine Layer (3 mines)		3		10
	Jump Jets			see above	TM x .5
	Smoke Discharger		1		5
	Passengers (5)			5		5
	Flood Lights			1		1
	Low Velocity Cannon		2		6	(lvc)
	High Velocity Cannon		3		9	(hvc)
	Magnetic Linear Accel.		4		12	(mla)
	Plasma Cannon			4		12	(pc)
	Disruptor			5		15	(d)
	Scatter Gun			6		18	(sg)
	Long Range Missile		1		1	(lrm)
	Short Range Missile		2		2	(srm)
	A class Beam			5		15	(a-)
	B class Beam			4		12
(b-)

	C class Beam			3		9
(c-)
	D class Beam			2		6	(d-)
	E class Beam			1		3	(e-)
	Ion Cannon			4		12	(ic)
	Flammer 			6		18	(f)
	Hvy Mech Grenade		-		15	(hmg)
	Med Mech Grenade		-		10	(mmg)
	Lt. Mech Grenade		-		5	(lmg)

 AND NOW FOR A WORK ABOUT COMBAT:

 Damage Points are allocated just as in Full Thrust with system checks
 taken as normal at the end of the row.  Here are the rows and the
 range of Damage Points in that row:
			1	1-6
			2	7-10
			3	11-18
			4	19+
 Most weapons fire like Batteries in Full Thrust with Armor acting
 as Shields.  Listed below are weapons and how many d6 you get to
 throw on the Combat Chart at the particular range.

	Weapon			1-3	4-6	7-9	10-12
13-15

	lvc			2	1	-	-	-
	hvc			3	2	1	-	-
	mla			4	3	2	1	-

	d			3	3	3	-	-
	lrm			1	1	1	1	1
	srm			2	2	2	-	-
	a-			5	4	3	2	1
	b-			4	3	2	1	-
	c-			3	2	1	-	-
	d-			2	1	-	-	-
	e-			1	-	-	-	-
And now for the oddball weapons.
	ic			[3]	[2]	[1]	-	-
		each roll of a 6 means opponent must make a sys check
	pc			4-6	5-6	6	-	-
		if you roll within the number range then roll 1d6 dmg

These following weapons roll x amount of d6 and do the total roll as
damage.

	Weapons 		1	2	3

	f			3	-	-
	sg			2	1	-
	sp			3	2	1
	hmg			3	2	1
	mmg			2	1	-
	lmg			1	-	-

These following weapons are one shot weapons for each system purchased:
	lrm, srm, hmg, mmg, lmg, sp

Now for the ranges that mechs are able to throw mech grenades:
	hmg		TM/20=range in hexes
	mmg		TM/15=range in hexes
	lmg		TM/10=range in hexes

And now for the dreaded Combat Chart:
			       Armor Level
	die roll	None	1	2	3
	1		-	-	-	-
	2		-	-	-	-
	3		1	-	-	-
	4		1	1	-	-
	5		2	1	1	-
	6		2	2	1	1
	7		3	2	2	1
	8		3	3	2	2
	9		4	3	3	2
	10		4	4	3	3

The d6 die roll is modified by the following:
	Superior Sensors	+2
	Enhanced Sensors	+1
	ECM (max of -2) 	-1
	Flank Shot		+1
	Rear Shot		+2

The roll would also have negative modifiers based upon terrain.  These
modifiers and the terrain cost of movement will be forthcoming after
more playtesting if anyone cares and if no one does then feel free to
come up with your own values.  Any comments can be directed to me
(Larry Pryor) here at tihald@ix.netcom.com

Happy Gaming and Good Hunting.

Well, I wasted a portion of my life watching the pointless and empty
Robotech II: The Sentinels last night.	As disappointing as it was (even
when viewed through the haze of a 6 pack), it didn't stop me from
sitting
down and hammering out preliminary Robotech-type fighters for Full
Thrust.
These are pretty rough, and I haven't figured out pricing yet.	They
also
tend to make the mechs significantly more powerful than your standard
figheter, so stock up on your PDAFs.  Comments, critisisims, and further
ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Bear in mind that I'm pretty much a
novice in the world of Anime, so go easy on me.

Mecha rules:

Mecha can be targeted by fighters, ADAF, PDAF, and C batteries
(operating in
PD mode) exactly as per standard fighters.  Command Armor gives Mecha
the
same advantages as Heavy Fighters.

Transforming:
Switching from one form to another takes 1 turn, during which the mech
has a
maximum speed of 10.  While transforming, mecha cannot attack, although
they
can defend if attacked as per the rules for fighters attacked with spent
endurance (MT 11): on a roll of 1-2, they suffer the attack from the
enemy
but may not return fire at all, 3-4 they manage to evade the enemy and
continue on course, 5-6 they may engage in dogfighting as normal.
	Transformable mecha have three forms in which to chose from:

	Fighter Mode: In this form, the mech looks like an advanced
fighter plane,
and behaves exactly as per standard fighters (FT 16-17).

	Guardian Mode:	Halfway between Fighter and Battloid modes, the
Guardian
gains the speed of the fighter with the agility of the Battloid to give
the
group the abilities of an interceptor group.  Movement speed is 10.

	Battloid Mode:	The traditional humanoid robot form, Battloid
Mode gives
the group the ability to behave as if they had an Ace.	While in
Battloid
mode, movement is slowed to 8 instead of 12, but otherwise the group
behaves
as if they were in standard fighters.
	While in this mode, Battloids can engage in boarding party
actions.  Each
battloid which ends its turn within 2" of an enemy ship may attempt to
board
the ship.  On a roll of 3 or better on a d6, the Battloid has made it
aboard
and can fight as if it was a 4-man boarding Team (MT 7).  If the
Battloid
fails the roll, it is assumed that the pilot couldn't find a large
enough
entrance for his mech and must remain outside for the remainder of the
turn.
Battloids can attempt to destroy any one system on board a ship; The
attacker must roll a d6.  If he rolls lower or equal to  half the amount
of
Battloids involved in the attack (rounded down), he suceeds, and the
system
is downed as if hit by a needle beam attack.  Battleoids attempting such
an
attack cannot otherwise attack during that turn.
	Battloids cannot take over a ship or serve as a prize crew; they
can
only attack its crew and systems.  While serving in boarding actions,
Battloids do not  expend endurance points.
	Defending ships may use their own Mechs for internal defense;
each
group acts as 6 defense factors (with each Battloid operating as a 4-man
defensive team).  A ship can commit all of its mecha groups to internal
defense, but can only move them from the hangar bays to the hallways as
fast
as it launch them normally (1 group per turn for normal craft, 2 for
carriers).  However, this does not count against the number of mechs the
ship can launch.  For example, a carrier can launch 2 mecha groups AND
divert two groups to internal defense.

Enjoy
Kroy
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/2706
"Everybody knows that the World
is full of stupid people."
The Refresments

Prev: A long, rambling farewell Next: Re: The Curmudgeon Rants Again