Prev: Re: Hello from GZG

Re: "Bugs, Mr. Rico, millions of em' ! "

From: "John Phelps" <jphelps@a...>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 08:08:39 -0500
Subject: Re: "Bugs, Mr. Rico, millions of em' ! "

>	Now, if I can find a used copy of the "Starship Troopers"
boardgame for
>the Bug complex rules and the digging and engineering rules I might
have
>something.

That I have. :)  _Starship Troopers_ was a great game!

A quick summary (from memory, so forgive any errors or omissions):

The Bugs have a hive with 5 combat brains, 1 master brain, and one
queen.
The Hive is usually arranged with the brains around the queen in a
cluster
(the game used hexes, queen in the center, brains around perimeter).
Alternate arrangements were sometimes encountered (the only one
described
was a straight linear arrangement, brains in a line, the master brain
was
adjacent to the queen).

In the game, each combat brain controlled one heavy weapon platform, 5
soldiers, and 5 workers (used as decoys).  These troops were limited to
that brain's tunnel complex and breaches from it, they could not enter
another brain's complex, above or below ground (they could stay on the
surface over another's area).  The master brain had no units and no
complex, but variants granted both, or allowed the MB to pick up control
of
units whose brain was destroyed.

The tunnel complex was one prime segment of I think 10 hexes (maybe 6)
in a
straight line from the brain.  There were a couple secondary segments,
I'd
have to go home and look these up to be sure of how many and their
length.
 Tunnels could not intersect.  Each brain has an "engineer Bug", which
cannot exist outside of the tunnel complex.  Each turn, the engineer
could
dig a 1 or 2 hex segment of new tunnel (must be attached to old, may not
intersect existing).  Instead of digging tunnel, the engineer could also
open a new breach to the surface.

Some comments on your material.  The MI didn't have normal ranged
weapons,
all fighting was done with bombs, missile launchers, or close combat
weapons (like the hand flamer).  I guess the bombs would be considered
close combat too, you had to drop it off, then leave.	I'm pretty sure
all
of the marauder armor was equipped with HE launchers, and in the terms
of
the battle, they had unlimited ammo.  I know that the command and scout
COULD be equipped with launchers, but I don't know if it came standard.
In
fact, I don't remember for sure how many HE launchers a unit received.

The MI don't translate well to the DS scale, since you're talking about
single troopers bouncing around at wide intervals, and tossing nukes
around.  I guess if you said each stand represents one trooper, that
would
work.

Interesting idea.

If you need more details of the engineering or tunnel rules, let me
know,
and I'll dig my copy out.

John

Prev: Re: Hello from GZG