Prev: what do you play? Next: Borg ships

Re: Fighter groups (designer please read)

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 16:09:18 -0500
Subject: Re: Fighter groups (designer please read)

In message
<Pine.BSI.3.95.970214031122.21174A-100000@buffnet7.buffnet.net> you
wrote:

>   What I would like to see happen overall, in echo of the previous
poster
> who asked about extending the landing duration timeperiod, is that
each
> turn be given a reasonable time duration, and that each inch is given
> reasonable distance.

Okay, totally pig-headed reasoning follows. You have been warned!

Well, since planet templates are suggested to be 12" across, this
suggests 1"=1000km (approximately). This seems to give reasonable
weapon ranges (IMO).

We can use the planet rules to work out the length of turns as
well. A ship in orbit around an Earth-like planet has an orbital
period of roughly 12 turns - at an orbital radius of 12,000km
(measured from the centre of the planet).

This is approximately twice the height of a low Earth orbit,
which has a period of 90 minutes. Using a^3 = P^2 (Keplar's
Laws of orbital motion - 'a' is radius, P is period), we get
an orbital period of about 255 minutes. 255 divided by 12
turns gives a 21 minute turn.

Of course, since the rules on planets and orbits were probably
chosen with absolutely no regard to realism, the above is nothing
more than a very good example of GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out).
Anyone who is interested in using this btw, better check the
arithmatic, since I'm currently half asleep.

--
Be seeing you,					     ARM not Intel.
Sam.					       Acorn not Microsoft.

Prev: what do you play? Next: Borg ships