Prev: Re: What's NEW on THE PAGE!!! Next: Re: No Coffee for me, thanks...

FT: The Next Madison Game

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:14:30 -0500
Subject: FT: The Next Madison Game

John Kovalic writes:

@:) [ Enterprise D in (its) past ]
@:)
@:) I'm trying to figure out how powerful to make it, and how to best
@:) represent its new Tech level. One idea was to make it a
@:) Battleship, but half the cost and space for its Warp and Thrust
@:) Engines. And perhaps half the cost of its shields. And of course,
@:) once it's on the map, all Romulan cloaking devices will be
@:) ineffective (I'm assuming a Cloaking Device arms race - as Fed
@:) Tech gets better, so do the Claoking Devices - over the course of
@:) time from ST, through the movies, to ST:TNG).

  Since this is a pre-fab scenario I don't think costs are important
(except to allow you to estimate balance).  I would reccomend
providing the D with upgraded systems by supplying it with systems
that are unavailable to the other ships.  AA megabatteries would be
one suggestion (to make it really nasty, allow them to mount in any
arc and not break down).  Level three screens would be another.  A lot
of damage control parties might help things out.  All of these things
could be done without changing the basic FT rules.

  If you don't mind stretching the rules a little bit, I would
recommend increasing the range or strength of Enterprise D's weapons.
You could extend the range brackets of their torpedoes, for example,
making them 8" instead of 6.  Changes of this nature make it more
difficult to estimate game balance because you can't just compare
points any more.  Personally I recommend AA batteries and level 3
screens.  A ship with level 3 screens against a bunch of ship with
level 2 or less screens can be devastating.

@:) Thoughts?

  My other thought is that ST:FT Romulans should carry wave guns and
nova cannon.  I just thought of that.  Good thought, me!

-joachim

Prev: Re: What's NEW on THE PAGE!!! Next: Re: No Coffee for me, thanks...