Prev: Re: Nanotechnology Next: Re: Nanotechnology

Re: Nanotechnology

From: "Cleyne, Daniel" <DCleyne@v...>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 21:56:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Nanotechnology

> >	    Anyone still using that primitive stuff (like us, for
example, or
> > anyone in the published FT/MT/DSII timeline) is just going to find
> > themselves effectorized into a corner in a stushie with the Culture,
or
> just
> > plain smashed (If you've worked out DSII stats for "offensive
drones",
> > (using large capacities and lots of stealth) however, you'll realize
that
> > "normal" DSII force need only face around 10.
> >

> I've never read anything about the Culture stuff.  Can you tell me
what
> kind of "warfare" is it that you are talking about?

If you've ever seen any of the Traveller/MegaTraveller stuff then the
Idirian/Culture War would have been fought at tech levels 20+. Its a
long way more sophisticated stuff than Full Thrust or Dirtside could
support in table top game play I believe. I seem to vaguely recall that
ship engagement ranges was something like several hundreds of thousands
of kilometres and in an engagement described in "Consider Phlebas" the
Culture ship ambushed the Idirian Light Cruiser by hiding in the Outer
layers of the systems sun. That's not something I'd like to try in my
Full Thrust BattleDreadnaught.

On the same general theme. Has anyone tried to create Full Thrust
scenarios out of the space engagement in  David Brin's "Startide Rising"
novel? There's a fair bit of 'tech' used in that as well but would make
an interesting game I think

Dan

Prev: Re: Nanotechnology Next: Re: Nanotechnology