Prev: GZG Next: Full Throttle Mech Game (long)

Re: [SG2] 15mm Figs, Anyone? A company wants to supply...

From: Steve Gill <Steve@c...>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 18:59:17 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] 15mm Figs, Anyone? A company wants to supply...

David Brewer wrote:
>In message <199702062103.QAA07547@smtp1.sympatico.ca> Allan Goodall
writes:
>> I posted a message to rec.games.miniatures.misc about a lack of 15mm
SF
>> figures and vehicles, echoing a thread that we had hear on the
mailing list.
>> In response, a company called Enigma Miniatures wants to supply this
>> possible market.
>
>Excellent.

Most magnificent indeed. I've been trying (with varying success) to get
more 15mm figs for the past couple of years. It's just impossible to do
SF gaming any justice with 25mm.

>> Anyway, I told them about Stargrunt 2 and explained that in my
opinion it is
>> best played as a 15mm game. I told them that I would post this to the
list.
>> What they want is feedback. They want to know what kind of figures
you would
>> like to see, and what kind of vehicles. Do you want GW style figures,
or
>> Traveller style, or more conventional figures? Do you want your APCs
to look
>> like Hammer's Slammers hovertanks, Eldar gravtanks, or
>> Abrams/Challenger/Leopard 2s? How many figures would you need? How
many
>> vehicles?

My vote is for the more traditional Traveller style (with lots of NPC,
civilian, terrorist etc. figs being essential), Hammer's Slammers type
vehicles would be an added bonus. I am partial to powered armour and
maybe a few swords on civilians for flavour, but weaponry must be
believable.

Vehicles should match the troops they were with: wheeled/tracked if low-
tech; hover for medium; grav for the top of the range guys.

>Well, God forbid we get another GW-esque range of Space Wombles with
>unconvincingly short-barreled weapons without shoulder-stocks, waving
>swords around. Gothic, my arse.

Look, it works for the kids that are their primary market. It's the
relative proportion of the figures that really grates with me, a gorilla
would be proud of some of those chests and arms.

>I'm not sure what is meant by Traveller-style.

The official Traveller ranges were a magnificent series by GW and (I
think) Ral Partha. They had everything from very neat Starship Troopers
powered armour down to 'low-tech', nearly twentieth century troops for
backwards planets. Good stuff if you can find them.

>I suppose for Stargrunt I'd be after figures not-unlike the actual
>GZG Stargrunt range, modern-looking figures with distinctively not-
>twentieth-century-looking uniforms and futuristic details. It suits
>the whole modern-with-futuristic-details feel of the game.

OK for low-tech, but I'd also prefer to have some neater, more advanced
looking types.

>The problem with the GZG figures is that they are not posed with
>much drama. "Sniper being obvious", "soldier standing around looking
>vacant", "officer pointing into middle-distance" could so easily have
>been "sniper crouching, observing with binox", "soldier running for
>cover", "officer waving frantically and shouting abuse". So I'd look
>for really dramatic poses. Anybody standing up should be running.
>Anybody shooting should be kneeling at least, very heavy armour,
>perhaps, excepted.

Got to disagree with you here. I really can't stand 'action' poses, and
much prefer to have the more casual, relaxed look. To me it is more
realistic, you very rarely get to see troops running around unless they
really have to.

--
Steve Gill
Steve@caws.demon.co.uk		  -	    just beCAWS

Prev: GZG Next: Full Throttle Mech Game (long)