Prev: Re: FT3 help! Next: GZG

Re: Nanotechnology

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 12:59:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Nanotechnology

>True, but the Culture in Banks' novels is an interesting study in
>nanotech and biotech; you'll notice that they don't go to war
>internally at all (far more nefarious plans at grande scale make for
>better lit anyway) and in the occasions that they /do/ have to
>physically go to war or simply threaten to, we don't hear of massed
>ranks of tanks, infantry and whatnot.
>
>Warfare in the Culture would be a drag to wargame.  DSII is certainly
>not suited to the task.  :)

Very true ;-)

	Anyone still using that primitive stuff (like us, for example,
or
anyone in the published FT/MT/DSII timeline) is just going to find
themselves effectorized into a corner in a stushie with the Culture, or
just
plain smashed (If you've worked out DSII stats for "offensive drones",
(using large capacities and lots of stealth) however, you'll realize
that a
"normal" DSII force need only face around 10.

	Zakalwe-style Special Circumstances special operations,
however...
any rules from DBA (or HOTT!) to FT/MT/DSII/SGII should do!

Cheers,

Rob Paul
NERC Institute of Virology
Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR	  Tel. (01865) 512361
rpaul@worf.molbiol.ox.ac.uk
  "Once again, villainy is rotting meat before the maggots of justice!"

Prev: Re: FT3 help! Next: GZG