Prev: Re: Gaming Groups/Clubs/Shops Next: Re: Firecons

Re: Firecons

From: Alan Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 03:03:54 -0500
Subject: Re: Firecons

AEsir@aol.com wrote:

> Being a Fire Control Officer, I must say that many systems can be tied
to one
> sensor but more and morea are capable of utilizing multiple sensors
with a
> system that chooses the highest accuracy rating.  Open source
documents will
> explain that there are now systems that can fire off other ships
tracks and
> even combine multiple track data to build the best possible track,
enabling
> ships to fire on targets they cannot see.
>   This would really change things in FT.  Imagine that all you need
was one
> ship getting a track and the whole fleet being able to engage that
target...

Concur. I design Naval Combat Systems for a living. Of course, target
illumination, as opposed to tracking, is another matter.

I recently did an AI TEWA (Threat Evaluation and Weapon Assignment)
system that had to use as tracking Data: 2 TMK trackers, 1 TMX Tracker,
and a STIR. Only the STIR and TMX had Target Illumination capability.
Weapons were NSSMS (ie a missile system), a GMC 5", and 3 quad 25mm CIWS
mounts. Plus decoys, ECM etc. Often we'd only get initial data via
Link-11, then had to steer a tracker into a search pattern before
acquiring the target with a high enough TQ (Track Quality) for
engagement.
Just doing this for 1 ship was bad enough. Doing fleet engagements using
offboard tracking is Tricky. Possible, but Tricky. To get maximum hit
probability with many weapons requires updates at about 50 Hz - that is,
50 track reports about the same target per second. And none more than
aboutv 1/10 second stale (1/100 second for best results).
--
----------------------	    <> <>    How doth the little Crocodile
---------------------- o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: Gaming Groups/Clubs/Shops Next: Re: Firecons