Prev: Re: Still Lousy After All These Years Next: Re: GenCon 97 GZG tables?

Re: Firecons

From: Alan Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 13:50:05 -0500
Subject: Re: Firecons

Darryl Hills wrote:

> We recently had a situation arise while battling in dust clouds.
> After nominating that certain batteries were going to fire on a
particular ship we rolled to get a weapons lock, and failed.
> My opponent then declared that because the weapons had not been fired
and because their ship had 3 firecons that they could try to fire the
same batteries by attempting to get a lock on with the next firecon and
if that failed with the next one.
> The rules state that firecons can be used to target multiple opponents
not the same ship multiple times.
> Any Ideas??

My own feeling is that you should tie your weapons to Fire Control
Channels before any die-rolls. Then allocate fire control channels to
targets. (BTW this is how modern naval vessels actually work - each
weapon is informed which data source to use for tracking data, then the
trackers are allocated to targets - but I digress)

So, say you have a standard SuperDread. You might allocate 3 A-beams to
#1 FC, and one each to #2 and #3. You then nominate which targets - say
target A for #1, and target B for both #2 and #3. Then and only then
roll for lock-on, and you can only fire those weapons attached to
channels that make the roll.

But frankly, it's up to the ref/players in question. I certainly would
have no objection to an opponent saying that you roll only once, and if
you fail, forget it, regardless of extra FCs.

----------------------	    <> <>    How doth the little Crocodile
---------------------- o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: Still Lousy After All These Years Next: Re: GenCon 97 GZG tables?