Prev: Re: Firecons Next: Re[2]: Ogres in DSII

Re: Still Lousy After All These Years

From: Alun Thomas <alun.thomas@c...>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 12:38:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Still Lousy After All These Years

From: cthulhu @ csd.uwm.edu

>  They had changed the house rules since the last time I played:
>  *First, they changed the fleet points.  It was originally 2000.
> Now it's double that.

You could just take two of your 2000pt fleets.

>  *Secondly, they don't allow fighters.  They didn't tell me this
> until AFTER I launched my fighters.  They claimed that it's not
because
> they think they're unbalenced.  It's because they think they take up
too
> much weapon space.  (One ship had 12 A batteries!)  They made an
> exception in my case, because I wasn't around when they made up the
> new rules.

If they think fighters are ineffective, they don't /have/ to use them,
but
that's no reason to ban them.

>  Third:  We have to wait 3 turns before any fire can take place.

Not a big problem, just use the time to get into position.

>  Finnaly:  They came up with a new maneuver:	the slipside.
> Operates the same as a 2, 3, or 4 point turn, however the facing is
just a
> little different in the end (i.e. the same direction as ship started).

Sideslips don't change much.

> These people take
> 4000 points and make monster ships that can total my largest ship
> (usually a SDN) in a single beam salvo.  (Don't ask me what our
Kra'Vak
> player fields!  10 "3" railguns and 15 scatterpacks!)

The problem with really big ships is that they don't have enough
fire-cons
to deal with a ship swarm. I don't have my book handy, but try this
design:

Mass 6 escort hull
Thrust 8
1 Arc A-Bat (fwd facing)
FTL

I don't remember enough to cost this, but you should be able to buy
quite a
few of them for 4000 pts.

The sheer number of ships might give them problems, also you might be
able to get behind them in the first few turns.

Wonder what they'll ban to stop this ?

>  Q:  Why are you b----ing about this?
>  A:  Because it p---es me off.

It sounds like the sort of behaviour that would piss off most people.

Alun.

Prev: Re: Firecons Next: Re[2]: Ogres in DSII