Prev: Re: FT-Multiplayer Games Next: Still Lousy After All These Years

RE: Trek conversions

From: hosford.donald@e... (hosford.donald)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:30:36 -0500
Subject: RE: Trek conversions

At 11:59 AM 1/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>At 02:16 PM 1/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>
>I still have it. I remember it wasn't bad as an easy, introductory type
>game. One version of it allowed each player to play a different bridge
crew
>member. I actually finished a couple of games of it, which is more than
>could say about SFB.

    My friend liked that system.  Only got the basic rules (the ones
covering the junior officers) and the romulan recoqnition module.

>>Anyway, what I heard, was that they
>>got Paramount very mad.  Mad enough for them to yank FASA's Star Trek
licence.
>>FASA had produced a produce called: The Triangle.  It covered the
sector of
>>space left over between the federation, klingon, and romulan empires
that
>>formed a triangle.  The official history says the the boarders of
these
>>nations come to a point.  There is no space left over!  That module
was
>>written and published without Paramount's permission.

>That's not true. My contact (head librarian of the Merrill Collection
of
>Fantasy and Speculative Fiction) tells me that it was the OPPOSITE
>situation: FASA dropped the Star Trek license. Every module released
under
>the license had to be approved by Paramount. There were a number of
modules
>released after The Triangle, so that wasn't the problem. In fact, some
>ST:TNG stuff was released in the first season of the show. The problem
was
>that Paramount made up for past mistakes in Star Trek licensing and
over
>priced the license for the RPG. They submitted it to FASA and FASA
dropped
>it as too expensive. ST wasn't that big an RPG for them, anyway. It did
>alright but considering what they were paying Paramount, Shadowrun and
>Battletech were far better for them. Also, there were some problems
with
>Paramount wanting everything squeaky-clean in their universe. It took
>forever to get a module approved, sometimes requiring small or
frivilous
>re-writes. They dropped the license as not being worth the cost and
pain.
>Paramount tried shopping it around, but they soon found that game
companies
>aren't made of money. Either the company couldn't afford the fee, or
the
>company was doing just fine with its own set of games.

That is interesting...

>>I heard another company got the licence to do the Star Trek RPG and
combat
>>module....I think the same one that did the recent Indana Jones
game/Star
>>Wars RPGs.
>
>I haven't heard that. However, I don't think you've got this right,
either.
>TSR did the Indiana Jones roleplaying game (it's been out of print for
>years, so I wouldn't call it recent) while West End Games does Star
Wars
>(which is still going strong, but it too was first released in the
80s).

>There IS a second Star Trek RPG. It's called _Prime Directive_ and it's
put
>out by Task Force Games. Actually, its an RPG based on the SFB
universe.
>I've got it. It looks okay, but I doubt if I'll ever run it.

Prime Directive is for Task Force's SFB universe.  The Indiana Jones RPG
was
done by TSR, but it was a sham...you could only play indy or the other
movie
charactors -- they claimed that if you wanted to play an indy like hero,
might as well play indy himself....

West End Games produced a new RPG system in addition to their Starwars
RPG.
I think it is called  The Master Book System.  They produced an Indiana
Jones module, and a horror module (don't remember the name of it -- not
interested in that stuff anyway.)  I haven't heard anything from that
system
latly..

>There isn't much in either game for FT fans (see, I tied it back to
FT!).

 What I want to know is should I run out now and order FT/MT, or wait
for
FT3....I won't have the money to do both.  When is FT3 supposed to come
out?
If the wait is going to be a long one, I will buy FT/MT now....I am
impressed with this game....I "assembled" a crude version, and tried it
with
my friend.  Speedy play, easy control of your ships.  I want to see the
rest
of the game!!!

>Allan Goodall:  agoodall@sympatico.ca
>"You'll want to hear about my new obsession.
> I'm riding high upon a deep depression.
> I'm only happy when it rains."    - Garbage

Donald Hosford

--
Registered ICC User
check out http://www.usefulware.com

Prev: Re: FT-Multiplayer Games Next: Still Lousy After All These Years