Prev: Re: new B5 Rules Next: Re: Full Thrust/Full Impulse

RE: Trek conversions

From: "Donald A. Chipman III" <tre@i...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 16:01:36 -0500
Subject: RE: Trek conversions

>>I heard another company got the licence to do the Star Trek RPG and
combat
>>module....I think the same one that did the recent Indana Jones
game/Star
>>Wars RPGs.
>
>I haven't heard that. However, I don't think you've got this right,
either.
>TSR did the Indiana Jones roleplaying game (it's been out of print for
>years, so I wouldn't call it recent) while West End Games does Star
Wars
>(which is still going strong, but it too was first released in the
80s).

Actually, I believe you'll find that WEG did release an Indiana Jones
worldbook recently (in the past 5 years).  I'm not sure which of their
game
systems it was built for, but I definately remember seeing it with a WEG
logo on it.

>There IS a second Star Trek RPG. It's called _Prime Directive_ and it's
put
>out by Task Force Games. Actually, its an RPG based on the SFB
universe.
>I've got it. It looks okay, but I doubt if I'll ever run it.

I've got it, too, and I was pretty disappointed.  I didn't like the fact
that all the characters were pigeon holed into ONLY being Prime Team
members, not bridge crew, or merchants, or anything else.  Kinda like if
D &
D only had the Fighter class.  The other problem is that it was an RPG
designed by and for SFB wargamers, which ment that every little detail
was
munchkin-proofed to the point that the game is a rules nightmare (come
on,
FOUR seperate Reputation ratings???)
	  I also have the FASA rules, and I liked what they did with
their
bridge simulator (if you have a really good GM, it rocks), but I found
the
RPG system was cumbersome, so I suggest starting with the GURPS Trek
rules
and throw in a Mekton-like lifepath generator (the FASA rules had
something
similar, but it wasn't as fun).  Then, grab one of the sets of ST to FT
rules, add in Scott Field's FT RPG rules from a few months back on this
very
list, and you've got a pretty workable set of ST RPG and Space Combat
rules.
I've already done a good deal of work on a non-playtested version of
these
rules, but I've always been partial to the time around the ST2-ST3
movies
for role playing, so my ships are built to slightly different specs.

Take care,

Tre

Prev: Re: new B5 Rules Next: Re: Full Thrust/Full Impulse