Prev: Modified Turn Sequence Next: FASA Star Trek Ship Stats, Part 1

Re:The Digital Battlefield

From: Michael Carter Llaneza <mllaneza@s...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:39:00 -0500
Subject: Re:The Digital Battlefield

At 9:42 PM -0800 1/20/97, Paul Calvi wrote:
>THE DIGITAL BATTLEFIELD
>Play Miniature/Board Games on the Computer!
>by Paul J. Calvi Jr. 17JAN97

In short, this seems to be screaming for Shockwave. Pity school just
started and I won't have the time myself.... besides, Indy can't get
his hands on amodern web browser last I heard. And it wouldn't be fair
to keep one of our rare GM's from enjoying something that would
eliminate his burden in running a game.

The only system I'm working in right now that could even remotely
handle something like this is Mac only (for a few more months). And I
can take time away from a "mission critical" project to play games, but
not to clamber up yet another learning curve.

As for vector formats, I'd prefer something that produced files that I
can edit. There is a 2D variant of .dxf, but associating a bitmapped
counter with a 2d .dxf object calls for serious scripting. EPS ? Nahhh.
Pict ? You IBM and mainframe types don't have anything that can cope.

Maybe generating a machine-readable list of ships, positions, and
vectors would be best. That has already been done for pbem maps, albeit
in Unix. But the file format exists, and I do have a copy somewhere.

Michael Carter Llaneza
http://www.hypnotic.com/
Devolution is very real to me.

Processor	     Clock Speed       Bytemark Integer Benchmarks
Pentium 	       90 MHz			      1.0
Pentium 	      200 MHz			      2.1
PowerPC 603e	      117 MHz			      2.2
Pentium Pro	      200 MHz			      2.8
PowerPC 603e	      200 MHz			      3.8
PowerPC 604e	      200 MHz			      4.5

Prev: Modified Turn Sequence Next: FASA Star Trek Ship Stats, Part 1