Prev: Re: About easy Mech rules.... Next: Digital Battlefield Reports

RE: The Digital Battlefield

From: timj@u...
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 03:12:58 -0500
Subject: RE: The Digital Battlefield

joachim wrote:

--  For anyone considering writing an FT map-drawing program or a
--program for working out FT movements, I strongly encourage that you
--take a serious look at Java as the language to use.

Having taken a serious look I find the java GIF manipulation tools
lacking in
the raw JDK. However it's certain someome will have written a package to
do the
sort of job as the gd library that ftmap uses, GIF write,read, pixel
set, color
map manipulation etc. If anyone knows where to get hold of this sort of
thing
drop me an email timj@uk.gdscorp.com.

-- Also anyone considering creating such a project in Java should
--probably talk to me or Daryl Lonnon

 I emailed Daryl about the battle computer code he said he'd get back to
me but
never did as he had to consult his co author (you?). If you still have
the
packages I'd like to use them we can talk via email.

--  So the point is that a lot of this stuff has already been done and
--if people are really eager to get a finished product working they
--would probably do well to build on the work of others.

I agree, I don't subscribe to the 'Not Invented Here' mindset and would
be keen
to look at your code and take in on for enhancement or use it as a
component in
my FT framework. I can take tar files or zip as email attachments upto
500K but
no bigger then that.

Hope to talk to you offline.

Tim Jones
timj@uk.gdscorp.com

Prev: Re: About easy Mech rules.... Next: Digital Battlefield Reports