Prev: Re: DSII : Infantry mini's Next: Re: RAFM catalogue?

Re: Mars Attacks Ships **Spoiler Alert**

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 22:30:09 -0500
Subject: Re: Mars Attacks Ships **Spoiler Alert**

At 11:32 AM 12/28/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Brian Bell wrote:
>>S P O I L E R  for Mars Attacks
>>
>>For Mars Attacks

>>Mars Attacks is a lame comedy. If you go to see it do NOT pay full
price.
>>It did have 50's style flying saucers, however. Below are stats for
the
>>flying saucers and a secret Earth weapon. :)
>
>It was kinda goofy with a few good laughs, but the computer graphics
and
>special effects were good.  I thought they did a good job at poking fun
at
>several old Sci-Fi movies.

I thought it was brilliant (okay, it was a bit slow at the beginning,
but
boy did thos Martians have fun)! It was a great spoof of 50s SF movies,
especially with the US army using vehicles and uniforms from the 50s
(not to
mention the 60s moon chairs and Pierce Brosnan as the definitive 50s SF
professor). You have to spend a lot of time watching old SF movies to
fully
appreciate it. It also helps if you saw the trading cards that inspired
the
movie (the reason for the red and green skeletons is based entirely on
the
graphics of the cards).

>>Mars Saucer
>:
>>Systems:
>>"M" Beam Projector (4 arc)
>>Energy Field Intercepter (x4)
>>Marines (4 squads)
>>
>>The "M" Beam Projector only has a range of 12" but does 6d6 acutal
damage
>>(3+ to hit). The "M" Beam Projector may be fired twice per round at
>>independant targets.
>
>I would limit this to one target per turn since it was mounted like a
turret
>weapon.

I agree.

>>Marines are deployed when the ships land on a planet. The marines are
>>equiped with environment suits. The environment suits are proof
against
>>high speed projectiles (ie. bullets). However, a
>>heavy-weight-boxing-champion-class punch can crack their helments
>>allowing in toxic oxygen atmosphere).
>
>I remember a few being taken out by conventional rounds.

That's how the first Martian was eliminated.

>>Weaknesses
>>1) The Martians have a strange lust for human females (considering
that
>>they are sexless). This should be exploited to full advantage.
>
>Hey, a good excuse for nose art! ;)

Oh for heaven's sake. Mars Needs Women. Uh, duh. ;-)

>>2) Yodeling Cowboy music causes the Martians heads to explode. By the
>>time of full thrust, this music is all but extenct. If an earth ship
has
>>such a record (and player) it may be patched in to the communications
of
>>the earth ship. Causes PERMANENT loss of 1 Fire Control per round of a

>>selected Martian Saucer.
>
>I think it was Dwight Yokum or something.  Almost made my head explode
as
>well! ;)  How about adding uncontrolled flight where the ship moves in
>random direction since the entire crew is affected.

It was Slim Whitman. Dwight Yokum would only have made them puke in
their
helmets.

Actually, shouldn't there be a full set of stats for DS2 and SG2? Can
you
get 25mm figures for the Martians? Maybe in plastic? ;-)

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: DSII : Infantry mini's Next: Re: RAFM catalogue?