Prev: Re: STARGRUNT II\ Infantry AI troopers Next: Re: DSII : Infantry mini's

Re: Ion Cannons

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 08:51:40 -0500
Subject: Re: Ion Cannons

Dean Gundberg wrote:
> One of the weapons often mentioned in this universe is the Ion Cannon.
> have not seen a FT conversion of an Ion Cannon that fits my vision of
this
> weapon that damages systems but not structure, so I created the my
own.

The needle beam seems to do a good job of representing this.  Paul Neher
has
used three needle beams, each covering one arc (fore, port, starboard)
on
his Star Destroyers.  The design works well, but it is represented by
three
systems versus one and only damages one system per ship as per normal
needle
beam rules.

:
> Firing is handled the same as beam batteries.  Hits are calculated the

> same as beams (1-3 no hits, 4-5 1 hit, 6 2 hits).  Armor and screens
do
> not reduce hits.  Hits calculated do not mark off damage boxes but
> instead are the potential number of systems destroyed by threshold
rolls
> caused by the Ion Cannon hit.  A threshold roll of 5-6 indicates the
> system was destroyed.  Once the number of systems destroyed equals the

> total number of hits rolled, no more threshold rolls are made.

Seems like it would be easier to just roll as per the EMP missile rule
with
one threshold roll.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re: STARGRUNT II\ Infantry AI troopers Next: Re: DSII : Infantry mini's