Prev: Re: size of ships... Next: Re: Is thing on?

Re: Proportional screens

From: JAMES BUTLER <JAMESBUTLER@w...>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 16:17:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Proportional screens

At 09:19 PM 12/17/96 +0000, you wrote:
>> One problem with proportional defences (such as Kra'Vak armor) is
that
>> it encourages the use of more on escorts and less on capitals. I Like
the
>> idea of screens being a fixed mass such that it is difficult to fit
many
>> on an escort or cruiser.
>
>I think we're talking about two differnet things. unless I read it
wrong,
>the guy who started the thread was asking about shields that get more
>expensive the larger the ship gets. I was saying (badly) that I felt it
>would be a simple formula based on a % of the ships mass, since a
shield
>makes a ship act as if it has more damage boxes then it really does.
>
>I don't think we're talking about making shields better on larger
ships,
>they already are!

	Right. What I was thinking of was a screen generator that had
less
mass for small ships and greater mass for larger ships. After all, a
smaller
ship has less surface area/mass/whatever to screen than a large ship. A
ship
mass rated screen generator would allow for smaller screened vessels
with
different levels of screens possible for different small ships (ala Star
Trek and Master Of Orion II).

	Has anyone else noticed how much Master of Orion II starship
combat
resembles Full Thrust?

	James
----

		___
	       |[|]|
	       |[|]|
	      /|[|]|\	_______  __	//    //
      _ _   /==|[|]|==\(_______)/  \__[__]__[__]__MMMMMMMMMM\
     [_|_|\%%===[|]====(_______)|  |===================HHHHHH\
     [_|_| %%===[|]====(_______)|  |=X=X=X==X=X=X======HHHHHHH]
     [_|_|/
					    }C=K@
      Main    Bridge/	   Fuel/      Weapons/	   Scanners/
      Drive   Quarters	Jump Drive  Ship's Boats Spinal Mount

	Battlecruiser INTREPID, CORMORANT-class
	Captain James L. Butler III, Commanding
	JAMESBUTLER@worldnet.att.net

Prev: Re: size of ships... Next: Re: Is thing on?