Prev: Re: size of ships... Next: Re: size of ships...

Re: size of ships...

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 03:46:43 -0500
Subject: Re: size of ships...

Date sent:  18-DEC-1996 08:39:58

>Spheres have "wasted space" near the hulls. Imagine a corridor ending
in a
>picture window.

Not true, unless you have artificial gravity. Note also that in many
rooms,
the corners are wasted space anyway.

In zero G, the curved surface would be floor walls AND ceiling. A
difficult
concept to grasp I know. But once there is no UP, architecture takes on
whole different shape.

A sphere is the best shape simply because it is the best to hold in an
atmosphere. Currently tubes are popular for the same reason, but they
are easier (and cheaper) to manufacture. Of course systems other than
life
support could be bolted on the outside of the sphere to make any shape
you
like.

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
| #include "witty_saying"	      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: Re: size of ships... Next: Re: size of ships...