Prev: Re: size of ships... Next: Re: size of ships...

Re: Proportional screens

From: lojeck <lojeck@b...>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 16:19:22 -0500
Subject: Re: Proportional screens

> >>	     Does anyone have a house rule for screen generator mass and
cost
> >> being proportional to the mass of the ship the screen generator is
purchased
> >> for? If so, how did you work it?
>
> >well... I haven't done the math yet, but each shield makes a ship act
as
> >if it has more damage capability then it really does, on the other
hand,
> >it only works against beams...
>
> >if you know anybody really into math and stuff...
>
> One problem with proportional defences (such as Kra'Vak armor) is that
> it encourages the use of more on escorts and less on capitals. I Like
the
> idea of screens being a fixed mass such that it is difficult to fit
many
> on an escort or cruiser.

I think we're talking about two differnet things. unless I read it
wrong,
the guy who started the thread was asking about shields that get more
expensive the larger the ship gets. I was saying (badly) that I felt it
would be a simple formula based on a % of the ships mass, since a shield
makes a ship act as if it has more damage boxes then it really does.

I don't think we're talking about making shields better on larger ships,
they already are!

Brian Lojeck
lojeck@mizar.usc.edu

"This is the .sig that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started reading it, not knowing what it was; but now that
they've
been reading it, they notice it because... This is the .sig that never
ends..."

Prev: Re: size of ships... Next: Re: size of ships...