Prev: Re: (North) American games... Next: Re: (North) American games...(perhaps I should rephrase this :-) )

Re: Apology to list, Adam, for stirring shit up.

From: Alex Williams <thantos@d...>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 08:15:31 -0500
Subject: Re: Apology to list, Adam, for stirring shit up.

> I apologise to the list for starting this off. I hope my sundry
> follow-ups are received as being made in a spirit of discussion
> rather than argument.

Oh, we'll let you live this time, but when the revolution comes and
your back's against the way, just remember who produces the best
post-apocalyptic RPGs so you know who to come crawling to in the
blasted wasteland, who'll know how to get and keep a rag-tag bunch of
tortured souls together, or after the Stars are Right who to go to
who'll protect you from the Things.  Uh huh, that's right, American
RPG hounds ...

> Renagade Legion comes from America? Isn't that Commonwealth
> remarkably British? (I hope I'm remering that correctly.)

Frighteningly UKish, really; even the icon used to depict their
territories looks like that British crown.  Mind you, I support the
TOG; nothing better than slavery, mysogeny, xenophobia and sheer
bloody-mindedness.

> The real staple I note in American future-histories is nuclear war.
> That really used to scare me. It seemed like America genuinely could
> not conceive of a future where there wasn't a nuking contest held
> with Russia. Usually it would be held in Europe, leaving America
> alone as a bastion of freedom etc.

These days our apocalypses tendd to revolve around nuke exchanges
with the Middle East in some manner or, Hades help me, the Second
Coming.  I'm hoping heavily that we're about to pass into a new
revival of the SF RPG, but the pickings might be slim after all the
heavy-religion-based settings.