Prev: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG] Next: For Mike E., A Question (FMA Fantasy)

Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 23:43:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

At 12:59 AM 12/13/96 -0500, you wrote:
>	Dunno about that lack of flavor, but I don't have a lot of
>experience with HOTT.

The problem with HOTT is that an Orc blade unit feels exactly the same
as a
Dwarf blade unit or a Human blade unit (and the same could be said about
the
other unit types). The armies are distinct as a whole, and the
interaction
of the whole army is the most important factor. However, an Orc army of
8
warbands (Orc soldiers), 2 shooters (Orc bowmen), 1 heavy cavalry (Orc
boar
riders), and an Orc general is functionally identical to a Wood Elf army
of
8 warbands, 2 shooters, 1 heavy cavalry, and one Elf general. In a game
played at a smaller level, the Orcs might outnumber the Elves and the
Elves
may be more capable (1-on-1) with the Orcs, but HotT loses this detail.

>I've been planning on taking a small set of
>counters (not miniatures; I don't have enough) to a medieval historian
>friend of mine, showing him how the battles flow, and getting his
>opinion.

You might want to show him DBA, as well. Although there aren't a whole
lot
of figures on a DBA/HotT battlefield, at least the end result feels more
like a battle than Warhammer.

>	Despite my general lack of confidence in net.projects, here's
>my $0.02:

I have a general lack of confidence in them as well. I think it can
work,
though, if you have the right kind of people working on it. I'd work on
set of rules of my own but I'm currently working on my own samurai
skirmish
rules (as well as other things).

>	You won't be talking one game, but three, maybe four: strategic
>(campaigns), grand tactical (HOTT scale), and skirmish (GURPS or
>Bloodlust).

I'd leave out the skirmish rules. There are a couple of these right now
(technically, Warhammer falls into this). The campaign rules would be
part
of a grand tactical set. I'm not sure you'd need a tactical set,
assuming
that fantasy battles are much like ancient battles. A properly designed
rule
set should be able to handle tactical to grand tactical.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG] Next: For Mike E., A Question (FMA Fantasy)