Prev: re: (North) American games... Next: Re: (North) American games...

Re: Fighters - Rearming and Launching (longish)

From: BJCantwell@a...
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 16:52:50 -0500
Subject: Re: Fighters - Rearming and Launching (longish)

> Now this is a really good system.  I like this a lot and will use it
in
>  our campaign (the NAC need something).  One thing it might add is
that you
>  will see launch bays possibly being damaged by Threshold checks, then
the
>  damage repair crews trying to repair them in time to land fighters -
adds
>  more of a carrier operation feel.

Thanks, glad you liked it, the effects of launch bay damage could be
especially devastating in a campaign game, where unrepaired launch bays
would
force you to abandon valuable fighters.  This could really cramp a
carrier
with lots of launch tubes and only one launch bay, especially if you
have
some sort of system like in my FMA rules, where a 1 rolled on the damage
control check means that the system is too badly damaged to be repaired
outside of the shipyard.

>  Did you consider the systems increased risk to threshold checks when
>  balancing it out?  Perhaps a lower point cost or mass for some of the
>  systems.

I've found that increased risk of loss due to threshold checks just is
not
much of a balancing factor.  It's too random.  Sometimes you loses the
whole
boat, sometimes you don't get touched.	This makes for great gameplay,
but
mass and cost (in that order) are the best balancing factors.

My thoughts anyway

Later

Brian

Prev: re: (North) American games... Next: Re: (North) American games...