Prev: Re: Fighters - Rearming and Launching (longish) Next: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

Re: One thing I'd love to see...

From: Alex Williams <thantos@d...>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 15:03:20 -0500
Subject: Re: One thing I'd love to see...

> Giant Robot additions to Dirtside and Full Thrust (battletech and
Gundam
> respectively)... I was thinking the robots in full thrust could just
be
> models for fighters, but i'd imagine the'yd move differnetly then
standard
> spacecraft) and in dirtside there is just no reason to use walkers at
all.
> as realistic as that is, it ain't to "cool".

Depending on your operational terrain, mecha can be worth the
bang-for-the-buck you invest in them; if you're fighting in primarily
untamed wilderness the benefits of wheels are nowhere to be seen and
it comes down to the maneuverability of the mecha through trees, etc,
to bring the battle along backwater lines.  For surgical strikes they
actually have some use if terrain cooperates, but like any AFV, do
/not/ try it without infantry support or you'll be eaten up alive.

In most space anime, at the scales we see FT battles taking place at,
mecha are just fighters with a different shape.  You might add some
optional rules for `boarding actions' or running across the surface of
a ship blasting turrets, etc, but aside from that I don't see much
need for changes.

ObFunStuffToDoInDIRTSIDE: Build a roadtrain, like the Australians
have.  A big multi-segmented SIZE 3 - SIZE 4 set of vehics,
constrained to follow the same path as the first segment blazes.  One
of these bad boys versus an equivalent amount of other armour can be
great fun.  Variations: Maybe a walker-train, with all the segments
having Transport Walker instead of Low-Speed Treads.

Prev: Re: Fighters - Rearming and Launching (longish) Next: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]