Prev: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG] Next: Re: FTIII

Re: Other Sci-Fi Genres (Was Re: FMA Fantasy etc.)

From: Alex Williams <thantos@d...>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 13:44:40 -0500
Subject: Re: Other Sci-Fi Genres (Was Re: FMA Fantasy etc.)

>	Auto Duelling:	 YEAH...that's the ticket.  We need something to
give
> SJG a run for their money.

This becomes one of those lets-build-cool-stuff things better
addressed by a generic construction system.  I've run Car Warsish
stuff in MEKTON ZETA which worked out /very/ well; the generic nature
of weapons/systems in ZETA made constructing whatever I wanted easy.
You'd have to go a long way to beat that.

>	Net-Running Wargaming:	I am not taking about an RPG or CCG here
(cause
> that's be done already).  I am thinking about a "Cyberpunk" syle
wargame
> where players command armies of cybernetic-hackers (their brains
plugged
> into their laptops) fighting it out with other cyberpunks in a
> futuristic VR realm.	They could hurl anti-system programs to fry the
> opponet hackers' brains while trying to keep your hackers' gray-matter
> uncooked.

Now /this/ could be great fun, but you'd have to find a way to make it
worth doing in `terrain,' it'd reek of space-warfare if done properly.
The only competition for it would be HACKER and HACKER II, the
definitive games of hacking.

>	Victorian Sci-Fi Wargaming:  Does "The War of the Worlds" ring a
bell?
> Maybe we can reverse the whole scheme and have the earthlings invade
the
> planets of the inner solar system to spread good-old imperialism to
the
> benighted, barbaric alien natives.  I can see it all now:  Her
Majesty's
> Royal Space Marines, wielding Edison Electric Rifles and mounted on
coal
> burning Ford "Mechana-Steads", storm the palace of the Martian
Emporer's
> palace on Syria Utopia while the Royal Airship Squadron provides air
> support.  I know, "Space 1899," tried to do this, but GDW didn't
really
> do much with it and now that they are in Grave Yard of Dead Game
> Companies...

I think we can do this already with STARGRUNT/DIRTSIDE II.  All it
takes is a couple small rules tweaks, the likes of which I expect(ed)
to see in BUGS DON'T SURF.

>	1950's style Sci-Fi Wargaming:	The puny forces of earth, using
post
> WWII technology, fight off hordes of Martians, giant insects or
> arachnids, re-animated dinosaurs, and other B-movie baddies.

This we can already do in DIRTSIDE II; use Mike's WWII rules mods and
create evil beasties as modular vehicles for the /really/ big ones
like Godzilla or as oversized vehicles for more arachanoid encounters.
You can apply the idea of "tech levels" to model different alien
races, say the Martians start off with a +2 TL modifier, meaning all
their actions get a +2 die-shift ... until humanity begin upgrading
their weapons and vehicles.

Prev: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG] Next: Re: FTIII