Prev: Re: Linking SGII with Fullthrust Next: Re: FTIII

Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:59:30 -0500
Subject: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

Date sent:  13-DEC-1996 09:51:58

>> Hmm, here's an idea. How about a project team to build a FMA style
fantasy
>> game, to be distributed free of charge on the net, but only if Jon
has no
>> interest in fantasy? With the people available on this list, I'm sure
we
>> could come up with something that could easily compete with WHFB.

>Ok, So I've only been in wargaming for about 2 years, so maybe I'm a
>little new behind the ears. BUT WHAT THE HELL IS THIS FMA SYSTEM PEOPLE
>KEEP TALKING ABOUT? I've heard it bandied about as the bloody holy
grail
>by some and as a waste of time by others, but no one has said what FMA
>stands for? Any takers? Can anybody tell me?

Full Metal Anorak

It's a term that I belive Mary Gentle(sp?) came up with, and which Jon
uses to describe his opposed dice roll method.

The general idea is that the attacker rolls a dice or die and so does
the
defender. The highest score is taken for each side, and the higher wins.

Skill, ability, technological advantages are represented by the die
TYPE.
eg d8 for average. A bonus shifts you up a type (say to d10) and a
penalty
shifts you down a type (d6).

I saw someone post about this a couple of months ago on the .historical
group. They shut up fast when I told them a SHOCK HORROR 'SF' game had
already done it, named it, copyrighted it, sold it.

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
| #include "witty_saying"	      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: Re: Linking SGII with Fullthrust Next: Re: FTIII