Prev: FMA Fantasy etc. Next: Re: A complete turn-around of attitude...(david has nailed the issue)

Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

From: "Joseph A. Noll" <u1a00458@m...>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 00:08:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]

Ok Alan I'm in, if we can get a few more people to help with the design
and background.  How do you want to run this?  I think a good starting
place would be the overall game concept, ie. scale, morale based,
representation on the tabletop.  From there we can deduce the types of
mechanics we need, and finaly knock around a background.

BTW if this gets going I think we should handle it through personal
email,
and only post general questions and surveys to the mail list.  It is
afterall an FT mailing list.

So to all of you who want the chance to have input on a Fantasy set of
rules using FMA (If Jon is okay with it) jump on the band wagon now, and
well starter up and see if she's got any gas.
BTW I also think that any set of rules, no matter how good they are, and
hey they could stink, should be public domain for those intrested.

My email is
u1a00458@mail.wvnet.edu
Joe Noll

----------
> From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@sympatico.ca>
> To: FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Subject: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG]
> Date: Thursday, December 12, 1996 10:26 PM
>
> At 01:37 PM 12/12/96 -0800, Brian wrote:
> >> IMHO I think A Mass Battle Fantasy Game is in order.  I know its
been
all
> >> Sci-fi until now, but JT has a knack for representing complicated
varibles
> >> in simple and consice game mechanics; and nowhere is this needed
more
than
> >> in the Fantasy gameing genere.  And you have got to admit alot of
players
> >> play fantasy.  It may be a good business move, if he can get
alittle
of
> >> that disgruntled Games Workshop (TM) crowd.
> >
> >I cannot tell you how fantastic this would be... Jon, if you get wind
of
> >this, sign me up for a copy now!
>
> I wouldn't hold my breath. As much as I'd love this, I seem to
remember
> comment from Jon that he's not all that interested in Fantasy.
>
> This is unfortunate. There's a thread on rec.games.miniatures.misc
with
> few WHFB arguing it's worth while the rest of us argue against the
fowl
> spawn of the evil GW (can't tell which side I'm on, huh?). What is
becoming
> obvious is, to paraphrase Churchill, WHFB is the worst fantasy battle
game
> available, except for all the others.
> There really aren't any really good fantasy battle rules. I hate WHFB
> reliance on super figures and it's style-over-substance attitude. I
enjoy
> Hordes of the Things, but it's really too small and there's a certain
lack
> of flavour. I haven't tried a fantasy variant to DBM, but I'd prefer
> something more "official" and written with fantasy in mind. Leviathan
looks
> to be an oversized skirmish set (which is, really, what WHFB is all
about).
> I have Martin Hackett's Fantasy Wargaming, but it's not well
distributed
> (and might be out of print). The only other set I've seen is Legendary
> Battles by the writers of the Canadian Wargaming Journal.
>
> We really need a good, solid, intelligent, non-partisan fantasy
wargame.
> Something definitive, like Fire and Fury or Johnny Reb are definitive
ACW
> games, Harpoon is the definitive modern naval game, and (as if it
needs
> be said) FT is the definitive fleet starship combat game. If anyone
can
do