Prev: Re: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG] Next: Re: A complete turn-around of attitude...(david has nailed the issue)

Re: EMP (was Why big ships are too good...)

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 15:10:36 -0500
Subject: Re: EMP (was Why big ships are too good...)

Okay, so we still get EMP effect caused by the metal hull of the
ship. But will ship hulls be necessarily metallic? I've always
considered FT ship hulls to be made of some 'other' material,
possibly ceramics, plastics or some molecular structure we can
only hypothesise about today (GP hulls?? At least casualties
would be low if all you can do is burn off external weapon mounts).

Also, there's the possibility of optical computers (and considering
the size of the fire control computers (3 mass?!?!?! I'd say that's
about 3 mass too big), it seems JT had Lensman style vacuum tubes
in mind, which I believe are resistant to EMP), hardened circuits,
or any other future technology which would make EMP a problem of
the past.

IMHO of course.

--
Be seeing you,