Prev: Re: A complete turn-around of attitude... Next: Missile storms

Re: Missile storms

From: "Joe A. Troche" <trochej@s...>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 22:07:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Missile storms

At 02:06 PM 12/9/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I know this has been touched upon in the past but has anyone
>come up with an effective defense against very large
>numbers of missiles ?
>
>I faced a fleet with two very large missile boats, each
>carrying 23 missiles.
>
>Wave after wave of missiles pretty much chewed my fleet up despite
>having fairly extensive PDAF and ADAF coverage.
>
>Any ideas / option rules out there ?

Here's something I've been playing with . . .

Missles:

Anti-Ship Missles (Standard, EMP, and Needle)
Mass: 1
Point Cost: 3
Range: 54"
note: lowered mass and cost because I felt so guilty about what follows.

Missile Defenses:

Chaff Pack  ("New Weapon"):
Mass: 1
Cost: 1

The Chaff Pack is a one shot defensive weapon that does NO damage to
potential targets. Instead it confuses the guidance
systems of incoming missiles. A ship fires a Chaff Pack in the turn it
is
being attacked by missiles and on a roll of 5 the missile
heads for the chaff instead of the ship. The missile should be moved
another 6" forward to simulate it passing by the target ship.
If the missile has not run out of "fuel" it can aquire another target
and
if possible attack it the next turn. On a roll of 6 the missile
heads for the chaff and detonates, doing no damage to the target ship.
For
an escort class ship, firing two chaff packs will not significantly
increase the effect of chaff. The chaff fired affects all missles
attacking
the target ship that turn.  However, a defensive die roll must be made
for
each incoming missile.

	Uneccessary complication: Cruisers must fire two Chaff Packs to
provide
adequate coverage, Capital Ships 3, Mass 101-150 4, Mass 151-200 5, etc.

PDAF:
Destroys incoming missile on a roll of 5+ but through rear firing arc a
roll of 6+ is required.

ADAF:
Destroys ANY missile within 12" or a roll of 6+. However it cannot
aquire
target missiles in the ships rear firing arc.

SubPack:
Destroys incoming missile on a roll of 6+. Fires through one arc.

C Battery:
Destroys any missile within 6" on a roll of 6+. No rear firing arc. This
is
very generous to the C battery but if they can hit fighters why not
missiles.

ECM, Individual
Affects incoming missles only. On a roll of 4-5 missile loses target. On
roll of 6 the missile detonates prematurely doing NO damage to target
ship.

ECM, Area
Affect all missiles in area of affect,12" radius. On a roll of 5 or 6
attacking missiles lose their targets.

This could potentially add many more rolls and significantly slow a
game.
However, if you actually get someone to agree to these options, if
nothing
else, he'll stop using missles just to speed the game :)

Joe

Prev: Re: A complete turn-around of attitude... Next: Missile storms